77

" you can hear it in the silence "

---

harry styles.

"What now?" I audibly voiced to which Rory nearly winced at the demanding tone of my voice, but I was desperate — desperate to make sure I never lost her like that again.

Her brother huffed at me, rubbing the back of his neck in ever-increasing frustration. "I don't know, Styles–"

It was the same shit over and over again.

"No, come on, 'm done putting up with that bullshit excuse, again and again, Griff ... not when her life is at risk every fucking time." my voice gritted out, still laced in evident fatigue but my tone didn't back down from defending my girl — hell, I would if he didn't.

I hardly glanced over at her, knowing her tired eyes would force me to crumble instantly, but my gaze just seethed in my own vexation. "You don't think I fucking know that, Styles? It's my goddamn sister–" Griff fires back, instantly setting the room ablaze in his own protectiveness over her which only frustrated me further.

Without thinking about anything else but her, my desires truly became the best of me. "And she's my fucking–" with my good arm, my anger boiled over and spilled across the entirety of the hollow kitchen as I immediately grasped that discarded glass on the island counter to make up for my own damn mistake.

"Fuck, Griff!" I've heard the same excuse too many goddamn times, the glass flew across the kitchen to shatter its glass over the counter. Mia yelped subtly beside Rory while the glass scattered down onto the wood floors, shattering in my own restraint to the illicit confines of our own relationship.

Simultaneously, my abrupt actions to my mindless words had her choking on a massive gulp of wine.

Mia's hand instantly met her back, patting it gently while she softly sputtered on the tart wine that nearly went down the wrong pipe into her lungs. Her blown-out pupils lacerate into me, burning red in the face at my near slip-up but instead, I simply cleared my throat softly while Griff just stared the two of us down like we were insane.

Fuck, if anything, she makes me this crazy.

In my vexation, "Just–fuck–just try to pretend to care about her, or I'm handling it myself," I swiftly recovered, threatening to take the easy way out of this despite its backfiring cascade of effects that could reign hell across the city.

Yet, my skin still boiled in the heat from the second near slip-up of that night.

"Is that a fuckin' threat, Styles?" Griff actually fired back to which Mia slid behind my girl, grasping Griff to drag him away to ensure the situation didn't worsen between us. Her hands were on his chest while he and I went at it in our own forms of contradicting protection over her.

I stepped forward, and almost reactively, Ace instantly met my front to place a delicate hand on my belly. And the touch almost shattered me completely, hopelessly craving it more than ever that night.

"Harry–" she wearily mumbled as her fingers just barely curled into my muscle, but I seemed to just ignore her in my own irritation.

With my jaw wired shut, "Yeah, I could kill him with my bare hands for shit he managed to pull tonight, I couldn't give two fucks–" I fired back to which Griff's brown eyes widened while Mia guided him further back towards the door.