19

TRIGGER WARNING: mention of sexual coercion and panic attack

---

" how could i stay when you lit a match to all my intentions "

---

aurora astor.

This week has been hell.

Not only balancing school and the absurd amount of studying I've been doing for finals this week but going to the gym and all of the other shit on my mind has just reached beyond the point of overwhelming. It just never ends anymore, the universe doesn't let me catch my fucking breath.

But nevertheless, you keep moving and you do it for yourself – but that desire's also slowly dwindling.

I step out of my apartment, locking the door behind me and I start walking down the hall. My body is warm for the moment in a pair of baggy jeans that fit like sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt. It's not like I plan on walking too far, just enough to get to the diner.

My backpack is heavy on my back and it weighs down my shoulders with textbooks, my laptop, and my notebooks to match the feeling of where my head has been at recently.

I head down the stairs, pushing open the metal door to feel the cold evening air hit me and my body involuntarily shivers. My eyesight gets blurry from the dry cold air, blinking quickly to rid the moisture from my eyes, and I sniffle as I wrap my arms around myself.

It takes me a few seconds before I stop dead in my tracks, nearly stumbling back when I see that fucker that's been in my head all week.

He's leaned back against his old classic car, cigarette in between his lips and his usual untamed curls. His lean body is clothed in black trousers that cuff at the bottom with a white Hollywood Sound white shirt under his warm neutral flannel overtop.

"I was just about to head up," he chimes, his accent taking me back a few nights.

His cheeks crinkle from his smile as he sucks in smoke from the white stick in between his fingers. His other hand stuffed in his pocket whilst leaning back against his own car and I take notice of the keys as always clipped to one of his belt loops with that pink carabiner.

I take into account the odd night and his departure early that morning a few days ago – I am very confused.

"Why?" I mutter, my body getting colder and colder by the second as I stand out here with goosebumps rising on my skin.

He flicks his cigarette out onto the pavement, watching the orange glow fade out as he breathes out the last of the smoke into the brisk air with his own breath forming in front of him in a hazed cloud. He opens up the passenger door to his car and motions me in, making me scoff at his gesture.

"I'm taking you somewhere." He states with a look on his features letting me know that there was some plan in his head, no way in hell would he voluntarily spend time with me if not for his own benefit.

"Absolutely not," I mutter and he gives me a fake pout as I shake my head, I don't even have time for this today.

"I have finals, I need to study ..." I start walking away from him and his frustrated groan behind me resounds in this barren sidewalk strip. His large hand clasps around my upper arm and pulls me back while I huff at him, my feet dragging against the pavement.

"We're going to my diner, Ace." He states and I squint my eyes at him.

"No, did you not hear that I have to study?" I snap at him and he gives me a satisfying push, forcing me to stumble into his car with the weight of my backpack adding to the momentum.