07

" it ain't 2009 no more "

---

aurora astor.

I practically trudge across the sidewalk, my entire body aches and my nose stings from the number of times I've blown my nose today. I just slowly walk by people in the cold, my duffle in my hand as I take a left down the street to the quieter alley.

Walking down the sidewalk and passing the few shops here to get to the gym, I push the door open and I step into the warm again. I sniffle the annoyance mess in my sinuses whilst letting go of the door and it slams shut behind me.

I head in until I get onto the squishy mats and I look over to see Lou and Jules waiting for me. I produce a smile and they both lookup.

"Hey," I mutter and their smiles instantly drop.

"You're sick! What did I tell you?" Jules frantically jumps up and I breathe out a laugh. I get closer to them and throw my bag on the ground. Jules places the back of her hand on my warm yet cold forehead. "Rory, you're so cold." She mutters at me as I tug my shoes off, throwing them to the side.

"M'alright," I tell her and she scoffs, looking over Lou for an answer but I just pull off my sweats and I nod at him.

"We'll train tonight and then we'll see how you feel tomorrow," Lou mutters and I sniffle, nodding as I throw my pants to the side to leave me in my leggings.

"Thank you," I mutter and Jules scoffs.

"You're seriously gonna get your ass kicked tomorrow if you're not at your best, Rory," Jules mutters and I pull off my hoodie to leave me in my short sleeve shirt. Starting to tape up my knuckles, I huff at her whilst biting the ends and smoothing them down on my knuckles.

"Jules, I took Tylenol in the morning," I reassure her and she shakes her head.

"Fuck, you're stubborn," Jules mutters and I smile at her as I nod at Lou and he extends a hand to lift me up to my feet and I groan.

"She's right though," Lou mutters and I shake my head at him, glancing over at Jules on the floor with her books as she smiles fondly at him.

"Yeah, yeah, it's not bad and I'll be fine," I tell them both and they laugh at me as I set myself up with Lou.

That's what I've been telling myself at least.

Starting to warm up, I spar with him as we always do because this dynamic in the gym is like no other. Getting faster and sharper with my combinations, my body tries to keep up as the sickness running through my veins fatigues me and tell me to stop for just a second.

I get tired faster as my moves get weaker and my reaction time slower. Lou notices and I just push through it, fighting back because that's the kind of mentality I have when it comes to one of my only healthy coping outlets.

"Yeah, we're done." He says quickly and I cough a little into the crook of my elbow, looking away from both of them. I crouch down and my chest heaves deeply, my lungs on fire. I just hear the wheeze every time I try to breathe with my eyes screwed shut from the explosions in my lungs at the moment.

"Rory–" Jules mutters and I sniffle, not wanting their concern or worry right now. As much as I appreciate it, it's overbearing at times even though I love them to death. I just get up, fixing my sweaty hair as Lou pulls his shirt back on and I shake my head at Jules as I swallow down gulps of water.

"I'm fighting tomorrow," I say stubbornly with my voice hoarse and scratchy, more of a need to fight.

It's become addicting and I'm getting more and more hooked by the night. The adrenaline running through me, the screams of the crowd, and the feeling I get when I knock them out. It makes me feel powerful, in control, and I need that right now.