11

" i just want to make sure you're okay "

---

aurora astor.

I blink, I just blink and it all vanishes.

The immediate scream fills my ears "Rory!" I hear a shrill of a voice, the moment of bliss snaps and it happens so fast. The immense impact shocks my system as the car jolts and the glass shatters. I'm not in control of my car anymore while it goes skidding across the empty intersection.

My head spins as it slams into the window on my left and I scream as the car goes tumbling over, flipping and I have no idea what's really happening.

Seeing the world spin on its axis is an odd sensation, my body is jolted every which way in the restraints of this fucking seat belt. The road in front of me spins and the beam lights of the other cars waiting patiently at the traffic light blind me as the car slams into the ground.

I wake up with a sudden gasp, my hand pressed to my chest as it heaves up and down uncontrollably with cold sweat all over my body.

I groan at the pain in my chest and I sit up a little more, letting my head drop in between my legs and I choke on air. I just start a ritual to bring myself back to reality, back to the present.

"20 ... 19 ... 18 ..." I count down as I focus on myself and the tangible world around me. Pinching my eyes shut, my heart beats rapidly while I tug at my roots to try and come back to Earth with the numbers approaching zero.

I take my time to remind myself that I'm here, letting the immense pain in my chest slowly subside. I sniffle and lift my head, blinking my eyes open to the pitch-black darkness surrounding me and I take a slow deep breath. I swallow hard, swinging my legs off the bed. I regulate my breathing and my body is spent from the abruptness of it, fixing my messed up hair.

I reach for my phone on my nightstand to distract myself, seeing the time to be close to midnight and the bright light from my screen makes me groan with the squint of my eyes.

Blinking a few times to adjust to the light, I sink my teeth into my bottom lip to the sight of an unexpected text that I'm not exactly upset about.

My eyebrow actually goes up at the texts from none other than Kian.

Late in the night, he wants to meet up at this hour and I know exactly what he wants. I could use the same, I need a distraction because there's no way in hell I'm going back to sleep. I need to feel in control again.

So I quickly text back a yes and wait for his response, tapping my fingers on the back of my phone as I await the text. The response comes in quicker than expected and my lips curl up, surprised by the fact that he's already driving.

I chuckle, getting up and I go over to brush my teeth again. Fixing up my appearance does not entail putting on makeup for a hookup like this, I simply wash my face and get rid of the remnants of little sleep from my body.

Pulling sweatpants on and replacing my old t-shirt with a hoodie, I glance over at my phone as his text pops up to say he's already here. It puzzles me for a second whilst I wonder how he got here so fast but I'm not complaining.

I walk through my apartment, slip my vans and head out of my apartment. I shut the door behind me and not expecting this to be long as I head down the stairs, pulling my thoughts together and in hopes of having this distraction for a solid 15 minutes at least.

Jogging down and pushing the metal door open at the bottom of the stairs, I feel the cold air hit me and seep through this hoodie I'm wearing with nothing underneath.