pretend it's okay pt2

Start from the beginning

Sure I might be able to bring her back to my life but I know if I do nothing, she might just run away again. And for how long this time? I can wait for her forever but I don't want her to get tired of coming back.

"I'm not sure... Do you want me to?"

"Yeah." I blinked back my tears that was getting harder to control.

Her eyes softens even more. She looks so gorgeous.

"I'm sorry. Sorry for hurting you and driving you away. I didn't think you could leave me so I didn't make an effort to make you stay," I said, having a hard time hearing my own voice.

"You were right though. I kept coming back to you, it only took me a bit longer this time," I can almost hear the disappointment in her voice. I was supposed to rejoice but somehow, I felt like I lost.

"Tell me how to fix this," I begged, "I want you to be happy being home with me, not like I'm keeping you hostage..."

"You're not," she frowns.

I looked at her, hoping my eyes could tell her that I would do everything from now on just to make her happy again. I can't give up on us now.

She cups my cheeks while I closed my eyes when I felt her press her soft lips on mine.

Few minutes later, I drove her back to her place so she could get changed then waited for her so I could drive her to work.

Right after that, I worked on my resignation letter.

I'm not doing it just for her. I'm doing it for us. When I lost her, I realized how useless my high paying work was when I don't even have control of my own time. It helped me stop thinking about her sometimes. But now I can't afford that.

I need a job that won't sabotage my happiness, so that's what I worked on next. It wasn't because there were lots of opportunities I could grab, offers in which I am the master of my own time. How did I not think of this before?

When I took Jennie out for dinner that night, I told her my plans and she looked so surprised.

"But you said your job was great," she worries. "If you're quitting just to please me, you don't really have to."

"It's only great if it's not taking me away from you," I kissed the back of her head, "I'm sure about this Jennie. Will you support your soon-to-be unemployed girlfriend?"

She smiles, smacking my lips soundly with a kiss. "I can provide for us, no worries. Take your time finding something you'll love."

I am reminded of how in love I am with her just because of those simple words.

We continued our dinner, talking about light subjects. I missed talking to her about random things. I missed hearing her laugh and seeing her smile.

"Problem?" she asks when she saw my furrowed brows upon reading the message I just received.

"It's from Jackie. She's just checking how I'm doing," I informed her.

"Oh," she grows silent.

It's another matter we haven't discussed yet. My bestfriend isn't anything like my work that I could just discard. She's been there for me since we were kids, although we're not really in good terms lately.

Reaching for her hand, I brought it up to my mouth and kissed her knuckles, "I love you."

She smiles. A small one. "Me too."

-

"Why are you here?" I asked, surprised that Jackie came for a visit one late afternoon.