hard to love

I frowned as I sat on the porch of Jennie's house, killing off the mosquito on my forearm with my hand. It's getting dark so when Jennie's mom asked me to go inside for the second time, I didn't refuse anymore.

"Are you sure Jennie knew you're waiting for her? Maybe she forgot?" she asks in worry.

Smiling reassuringly, I nodded once, "It's no problem Mrs. Kim, I told her not to rush. She's probably on her way home now."

She still looked worried.

"If you say so. Make yourself at home Lisa, I'll just head to bed now because God this headache is killing me."

"Do you want me to run to the pharmacy and get you something for it?"

"It's okay sweetheart, I already took one," she says, "You're such a sweet girl I don't see why you two haven't made it official yet."

That, I wonder too.

It took 10 more minutes before Jennie arrived. I peeked at the window and saw her coming out of a black shiny car with a guy wearing a school uniform I'm not familiar with opening the door for her. When Jennie whipped her head my way, I ducked like an idiot and sat on the couch while trying to stop my frown.

Jennie gets asked out on a date a lot. She dates a lot of men. She told me she likes me but she kept going out with other men.

The thing is she doesn't want commitments. She said we're too young for that and unfortunately for me, I have lots of competition and she kept giving them a chance. She wanted to make sure that whoever she'll be committing to is someone who's most compatible with her.

So how can I tell her no and force her to only be with me?

She said she likes me, I can feel it. I just need to wait some more, see what happens. Hopefully she gets tired of getting to know those men.

Sometimes I think she's straight and just wants to toy with me because I haven't seen her with another girl before. But it's probably because she is bisexual and I'm the only girl that attracts her. Her words, not mine.

"Hi," Jennie's sweet voice greets me from the doorway.

"Hey," I tried to hide the jealousy in my voice as Jennie went straight to sit beside me and took off her heels, "Did you enjoy your date?"

"It was fun and I was comfortable," she confirms, "At first I just agreed when he asked me out because he was my type, I didn't really expect him to be that funny."

I knew her type. The sexy looking ones, like ripped.

I'm sure she saw how my shoulders haunched because right then, she hugs my arm and leans on my shoulder. "I missed you though."

I wonder how Jennie does it. How she can manage to make me feel like she's mine just when I feel like I'm about to lose her to someone else.

"Me too," I reached for her hand, intertwined our fingers, and then placed them on my lap. "Did you think of me while you were with him?"

"Mm," she agrees simply with a hum.

The thing about Jennie is that she gives everyone a chance as long as she thinks those guys are sincere. She never promised me anything. So how can I be assured that I have better chance than the rest of them, you ask?

Well, she always comes back to me unlike with those other guys. I wait and she comes back all the time. She never told me to wait for her, she just knows I would always wait until she chooses me and somehow even with the lack of words, I know she would stay soon enough.

"What were your thoughts while you were with him?" I pushed, hoping to ease the tinge of jealousy that remained in me despite having her at the moment.

"About you?"