Chapter One

Monica's POV

Here I am sitting in my room getting ready for my first day of my senior year at a new school... for the fifth time in my life. My father was a big businessman who caused my family to have to move around a lot, but this would be the last time I moved even if my parents decided to move again.

This year was my senior year of high school, class of 86'. I was going to graduate from the same school I started school in. That was always my goal at least. My father made that very hard for me. I grew up here in Hawkins, Indiana for the first part of my life, but then in the middle of my seventh-grade year my dad got a great job offer in Chicago, so we moved. Then again in eighth grade, and again in tenth grade, and eleventh, and this time.

I was excited and nervous to go back to the school I started at. I was excited because I would finally get to settle down here and not have to worry about moving halfway through the year, but I was nervous because I had changed a lot since everyone here last saw me.

When everyone last saw me in seventh grade, I was the biggest dork you would have met in the whole town. I had the largest glasses, head gear, frizzy hair, and I was always studying. Now I wear contacts, I'm out of braces all together, I learned to take care of my hair. Instead of it being frizzy and all over the place I learned to contain the frizz and now I have controlled waves and bangs.

Also, I still study just not in front of everyone anymore. I learned my lesson with the bullies on that one.

"Monica, honey you're going to be late for school if you don't hurry up!"

"Ugh I know mom! I'll be down in a second." I shouted down the stairs.

I had spent so much time making sure my hair wasn't frizzy. I ended up just putting my hair in a high ponytail, curling the end of it, and then straightening my bangs. I had absolutely no idea what I was going to wear though.

I rummaged through my closet looking for my go to outfit. I grabbed my oversized navy and red sweater and threw that on and threw on my jean short overalls over them. I threw a belt around my waist to make my outfit look less frumpy and more put together. I throw on some long white socks and my red converse to match my sweater.

"Monica, you need to be out the door within the next minute if you plan on being on time today!"

"I'm coming mom!" I scream as I'm hopping down the hallway trying to tie my shoe and walk at the same time.

I grab my backpack off the couch and run out to the car.

"Finally, what took you so long to get ready today?" my mom questioned

"Nothing I just woke up late." I lie

I didn't want my mom to know I was nervous because then the questions would never end.

The drive to school only takes about ten minutes and believe it or not I somehow managed to make myself even more nervous in those ten minutes.

We finally get to Hawkins High, and I jump out of my mom's car and bolt straight inside. I try to avoid everyone at all costs on my way to the main office. I just want to get my locker and my schedule before I must try and socialize with anyone.

All I could think about on my way to the office was about how people treated me last time I was here. Granted I was in seventh grade then, but the names I was called have stuck with me. I felt like everyone was judging me, so I walked faster to the office. I didn't realize until I was in the office, but I had held my breath the entire walk here. I wonder if people know who I am, or if they remember me? They probably don't.