Chapter 42

I sat on the balcony in my room, scanning the familiar environment around me. The black sky with red auras hadn't changed at all. Although I was away from the souls, I could still hear them screaming from here. It reminded me how Zen was still there, suffering. I hadn't done anything to save him. The pillar shards remained on the rocky floor. Zalgo probably kept them there to remind me how I'm trapped here with him.

After what had happened earlier, Zalgo took us back to the underworld. Since I was still heavily influenced by alcohol, I fell asleep for most of the day. I had eaten dinner by the time I woke up and now I was sober and wide awake even though it was nighttime. I was freezing despite me wearing a hoodie.

"Darling, shouldn't you be asleep?"

I turned around to look at him in his human form. I had to admit, I felt more comfortable with him in his human form than in his regular form. Not that he looked innocent, of course.

"I think I slept enough," I responded before I turned away.

Zalgo slowly walked up to me before sitting beside me, trying to figure out what I was looking at. Although in reality, I was lost in thought.

"Zalgo?" I spoke out before figuring out how to ask my question. "Since I'm bound to Sally, what would happen if she were to die?"

Zalgo didn't need to ask me where my question came from seeing as he could easily look through my memories.

"You lose your special ability and strength. You become more vulnerable due to the emotional attachment you formed with her."

"So that's how the immortals killed my ancestors?"

Zalgo grew silent. He was shocked at how quickly I had figured it out.

"Yes. The immortals would take their time to study them and figure out who they were bound to. Most of them were their partners while some were siblings. The challenging ones were mortal friends."

I furrowed my eyebrows at the thought of siblings being bound to each other. Surely it couldn't mean-

"It wasn't a form of incest." Zalgo read my thoughts. "They were just protective of each other to an extent, despite them having their partners. That was also very rare to see."

I wanted to see Sally, to make sure she was alright. Splendor did promise me to take care of her so I wasn't that worried.

"We could see what the girl is doing if you'd like."

I gulped before nodding, still not wanting to see Zalgo.

Zalgo made a huge golden orb appear in front of me. A view of Sally sleeping peacefully in her bed had appeared inside it. I wasn't surprised considering it was her bedtime.

"You know, I could bring her here if you desire. She could remain here just so you can watch over her."

"She's happier in the mansion. Everyone including Slenderman loves her. I can't take that away from her, that wouldn't be fair." I didn't realize that I wanted to cry before I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"Slenderman was foolish to treat you as if you were nothing, my dear." Zalgo wiped the tear away. "Although I was mistaken in the past as well, I hope I can redeem myself now and prove to you I'm not the bad guy."

A fake smile formed on my lips at what he had said.

"Says the guy who forced me to be here and killed the only close friend I had."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Zalgo look away. "It can't be undone, Y/N."

I stood up before walking away from him. "Then our conversation is over."