42 - Toph x Deaf!Reader

Man this one was just so hard to write for some reason, hhhhw

Prompt: 
Can you do a Reg!Toph x Deaf!Reader? The gaang has to go back to the love cave or whatever it's called and everyone gets separated. Then Toph leads Y/N back to her by sending vibrations in the ground with her earthbending since Y/N uses her earthbending for hearing instead of sight. When Y/N and Toph find each other again their crush on each other let's them find the way out.

By elivion

_____

I only got to meet the Avatar after his travels, which kind of sucks considering him and his group were already hailed as heroes for stopping the ex Fire Lord and pretty much saving everything. Not that that's a bad thing, but it'd be a lot cooler to meet them before all of that when they were still pretty much fugitives. Still though, I got to meet them eventually. My job was to go around the Earth Kingdom and help out people who were victims of the Fire Nation's attacks, rebuild their homes, give them food and clothing, all sorts of things. It was busy work but it was good. 

Eventually we heard that the Avatar was looking for some Ozai supporters still rampant in the Earth Kingdom. Which is weird because again, Earth Kingdom. Apparently though they were holed up somewhere in the tunnels in the cave of two lovers leading to Omashu. I've never been so I volunteered to go with them, just in case anyone in the city or nearby needed help. Unofficially though, who wouldn't want to see them?

It was easy for the most part, we got to the town within a day thanks to Appa, the flying creature that was Aang's companion. The only hard part was talking with Toph. I was pretty much completely deaf, and not a single person here knew sign language so I had to resort to reading their lips which wasn't hard, but it's just not my preferred way of communicating.

Toph however, was blind which complicated things. Don't get me wrong, when she was looking in my direction she was actually the easiest to lipread, despite her demeanor she spoke the clearest out of any of them. But sometimes she didn't always realize she wasn't facing me. Despite that we got along pretty well, we were both earthbenders and we both used our bending to give us sight, which seems a little bit weird considering out of the two of us I'm the one who can see, but I have no idea about any threats around me, or where someone is, or anything like that. Actually I was surprised to learn that Toph used her bending in the same way.

The area just outside the entrance was pretty much deserted, and as far as we were aware they were deserted inside too, the tunnels kept moving and it was making me queasy. "Y/n, Aang, and I can go in and get the supporters," Toph said, "since were the only ones who can earthbend we can just create a direct route in and out." Seemed like a solid plan.

I took a step over to their side, standing next to Toph. "Okay," Katara nodded, "... wait out here for you three."

We turned around and made our way to the entrance, heading in one by one. Despite our best efforts at bending the tunnels around us they seemed to keep changing sporadically. Aang waved to get my attention. "Let's all split up, I'll go in that direction you two go there, and there." He pointed to two different tunnels behind us. I nodded in response. 

Honestly splitting up seemed like the stupidest idea ever, but I get more sightseeing in so I don't really care. Unfortunately the Ozai supporters were nowhere to be found though, the constant changing tunnels made that almost impossible. Splitting up was probably the only way to find them.

I went my separate way, lightning the tunnel in front of me using the torch. After a few minutes of walking around in what I hoped wasn't a big circle, I found absolutely nothing.

And I had no way of contacting anyone else.

Way to go, hearing. Well, lack of. I could always head for the entrance, I kept track of it and I'm sure Toph and Aang could've too, but there was no way of verbally letting them know. Just as I was thinking of a way to tell them I felt a hand tap my shoulder. I jumped back in surprise, brandishing a large boulder as I turned to face the person. It was just Toph. I don't even know how I didn't feel her coming.

"Don't do that," I said, lowering the chunk of earth back into the ground.

I could see a faint, "sorry," on her lips.

Well at least we met back up, but there was a new problem, my torch was going out. Dropping it in the dirt began to smother the flame. "Come on!" I signed.

As the last of the fire died out I tossed the stick to the side. "Well the torch just went out so I can't see what you're saying now. Can't see anything at all right now actually." Without waiting for a response I pushed Toph forward and began walking down the tunnel. If she was protesting any of it, I had no idea.

Navigating the tunnels wasn't all that hard, even in the dark bending works wonders. But as I went further down, something made me stop. There were glowing rocks decorating the ceiling in this part of the cave.

I placed a hand on Toph's shoulder, signaling her to stop. "There's rocks on the ceiling," I said.

"It's a cave, there's rocks everywhere," I saw her respond.

"No, I mean, glowing rocks, they're lighting up the cave all the way to the entrance."

"What?" She turned towards me, perplexed.

"Just trust me," I said, grabbing her hand and pulling her along.

Within no time we were back outside, the sun shining just as bright as before. "Ah, sweet sweet sunlight," I signed to myself, basking in its warmth.

Aang followed us out seconds later. "I'm guessing you two didn't find any either?" He asked. I shook my head no. Toph said something in response but I couldn't quite see what. "That's okay, we'll just keep looking somewhere else."

They gave me a ride back to my city, obviously, it'd be rude to just leave me there. As we all got off Appa I turned towards Toph. "So this is goodbye I guess? You have all your work to do."

"Maybe," she said. "Who knows, maybe we'll meet up again and you can try teaching me some sign language, I already know..." After a split second of thought she tried signing "come on," just as I did in the tunnel. Granted it was clumsy, kind of like how a child would sign it, but the gesture was still nice. The fact that she even remembered it despite not being able to actually see it.

"Sure," I signed, saying it at the same time. As they left on their bison I couldn't stop smiling.

"What's up with you?" One of my friends asked, signing it.

"I think I have a date," I signed back.