50 - Toph x Air Nomad!Reader

I've been waiting for a request for ages yall,,

I did Air Nomad in the title because that fit a little bit better than "Aang's sister"

Prompt: Can you do a Aang's sister (reader) x Toph? Where Aang is the hyper and extroverted one in the family, reader is the introverted one. She's shy and has a hard time opening up to people because the air nomads didn't really hang out with her?
By: TheUnluckySwine

_____

"Hey Aang!" One of the kids shouted at him, "come and play!" Aang looked up from our spot in the dirt, where we were air bending the sand into towers, going as high as we could until it toppled over.

"Coming!" He shouted back. Aang stood up, grabbing my hand and pulling me along with him towards the group. He was always trying to get them to hang out with me, they never wanted to though.

"No, just you, not Y/n."

Aang stopped, looking back at me. "It's fine, go ahead, I didn't really want to play with any of them anyway," I said. "Besides I'm pretty tired of beating you at everything we've done today."

He laughed and let go of my hand, walking over to the group of kids. One of the boys tossed a ball at him, and he seemed to instantly forget about me.

They all disappeared, one by one, the world fading away until it was just me.

"Y/n," I felt someone shaking me, "wake up!"

I opened my eyes to see Aang standing over me. "What?" I sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"Shh!" He whispered. "Everyone's still asleep. And close your eyes!" Aang grabbed my arm, pulling me up from my sleeping bag and placing a hand over my face so I couldn't see.

"What? What time is it?"

"Midnight, I think."

"What? Why are you waking me up right now Aang?" I asked.

"Just follow me," he said. I sighed and removed his hand, covering my eyes with my own.

I followed Aang as we went through what felt like a forest. I kept my eyes closed the whole time, until we stopped and he said to open them.

As I lowered my hand, I was greeted with the sight of a meteor shower. Hundreds, maybe even thousands of comets rained down from the sky. It was like the stars were crying.

"Woah." I sat down on the ground, staring up at them.

"What do you think?"

"What do I think? This is incredible!"

"I'm glad you think so." He ruffled the hair on my head. "Anyway I'll be right back." I nodded, not really paying attention to what he was saying as he began walking away.

For a minute it was just me, and the heavens.

"What are you doing awake?" I heard Toph ask.

I jumped in surprise and looked back at her. "It's um, nothing- well, I mean not exactly nothing, it's a meteor shower."

"Meteor shower?" She asked, sitting down next to me.

"Yeah," I responded.

There was a moment of silence. "Care to explain?" She gestured towards her eyes.

"Oh, it's uh, it's a bunch of comets coming down all at once. Like um... Like the stars are raining down from the night sky."

"Well I know what rain feels like," she responded, quietly.

"It's a beautiful thing."

"You know this is probably the most I've ever heard you talk," Toph remarked.

My cheeks started to burn up and I avoided looking at her. "Oh uh, sorry I-"

"It's fine, I like it," she interrupted. "You really only ever talk with Aang so it's nice."

"Oh... Yeah... When Aang and I were growing up, being the only girl in a temple dedicated to boys kind of singles you out. Everyone wanted to play with my brother, not me. I didn't super mind, but, not a lot of chances for socializing," I explained.

"I know how you feel, I'm blind and my parents only child, they didn't exactly let me play with any other kids."

"What'd you do about it?" I asked her.

"The only thing there was to do; I joined an underground bending competition."

I laughed. "Yeah I don't know about doing that. Besides it's not like the nomads actually trained us to fight they're, you know, pacifists." I gestured with my hands.

"What did they teach you?"

"Well, before I joined Aang at the southern temple I learned dancing at the eastern."

"Dancing?"

"Yeah, like, traditional ceremonial dances and performances." And a few comedic ones.

"You should perform one for me," she said.

"What?" I turned and looked at her. "Really?"

"Yeah."

I hesitated, preparing myself to stand up. "Okay but... You can't laugh at it, it's a very serious cultural performance."

I pushed myself off the ground, walking a few foot away from her. With as straight of a face I could muster I began the dancing lemur, a comedy routine that mimics the flying lemurs. Toph didn't know that though.

As I finished I saw her face twist, her lips pursing together as she tried not to laugh. I couldn't hold it in myself, letting out a small snort and instantly covering my mouth.

"You're messing with me, aren't you?"

"No, no, it's a very serious cultural dance." I began laughing behind my hands, trying to hide my grin.

"I didn't think Aang was being serious when he said you were funny."

"No one ever does."

"You should show me a real dance now."

"I- seriously? You actually want to see a dance?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, and no joking around this time."

"Okay fine, but," I grabbed Toph's arm, pulling her up, "you'll have to participate too, the visual effect of the bending is a key part, and, well, I'll have to improvise that."

I took a few steps back, beginning the dance. Leaves floated up from the ground, swirling around each other like two birds dancing in the sky. It was a short performance, simple but sweet.

"So?" I asked, sitting down as it ended. "What'd you think?"

"It was like... A meteor shower."