Chapter Seventeen

Percy Vs. Ares 

🍎

The boar charged. 

Now normally if a wild animal that was created by a war god with an agenda to kill you came charging straight towards you, the reasonable response was to run. But not Percy. What he did, however, was to uncap his pen to create Riptide. He slashed upwards and it sliced the boar’s right tusk, and it fell at his feet. Disoriented, the boar changed directions and headed to the sea. 

Percy shouted, “Wave!” 

Immediately a wave surged from nowhere and engulfed the boar, wrapping around it like a blanket. The beast squealed once in terror, before it was gone, swallowed by the sea. 

Snow was somewhat embarrassed to say she felt a little queasy seeing an animal be drowned to death. Granted it tried to kill her friend, but still. So sad. 

“Are you going to fight me, now?” Snow heard Percy ask Ares. “Or are you gonna hide behind another pet?”

Wow, he is so brave, Snow thought admirably. 

When she gazed at her father, Snow was baffled to see his face purple from rage. While she’s never seen her father all that much during her childhood, it was rare to see him so angry before. That just gave her more reasons to admire Percy. Anyone who angers Ares so much has her respect. 

“Watch it, kid. I can turn you into-”

“A cockroach,” said Percy. “Or a tapeworm. Yeah, I’m sure. That’d save your godly hide whipped, wouldn’t it?” 

Snow beamed further. Which got wide when flames danced upon Ares’ sunglasses. “Oh, man, you really are asking to be smashed into a grease spot.”

“If I lose, turn me into anything you want. Take the bolt. If I win, the helm and the bolt are mine and you have to go away.” 

Sneering, Ares swung the baseball bat off his shoulder. “How would you like to get smashed: classic or modern?” 

Percy showed him his sword. 

“That’s cool, dead boy,” he said. “Classic it is.” The baseball bat changed into a huge, two-handed sword. The hilt was a large silver skull with a ruby in its mouth. 

“Percy,” Annabeth said, taking a cautious step forward. “Don’t do this. He’s a god.”

“He’s a coward,” he told her. 

“While I agree with that, he’s still powerful,” Snow spoke up. “I don’t know how you plan on doing this, but I don’t want you getting hurt. He doesn’t look like the person to be gentle.” she gave a weary glance towards her father. 

Ares cracked his neck, his sunglasses looking threatening as he stared at the three, mainly Percy. Snow was sure he was glaring heavily behind those opaque shades. 

Annabeth swallowed. “Wear this, at least. For luck.”

Snow was surprised when she took off her beaded necklaces. Five years worth of memories and a ring and tied it around Percy’s neck. Snow continued to stare as Annabeth said it was a symbol of Athena and Posiedon fighting together. Grover also came up and offered his tin can. When Percy turned to her, Snow felt ashamed. She doesn’t have anything to give him and she feels horrible for it. 

Struggling sheepishly, she said, “I don’t have anything to give, sorry,” she gazed down. “But will a hug do?”

She didn’t see the way his face flushed a bright pink colour, or how he was trying to not smile too widely. Silently, he came up and hugged her as his answer. Surprised, it took Snow a few seconds before she was hugging him back. Being this close to him brought the same flushed face as Percy’s, but in a darker pink colour.