Chapter Sixteen

Betrayal, Frame And Wrapped Up Mysteries

🍎

This must be some kind of cruel, twisted joke. Snow couldn’t believe she was looking at the master bolt in Percy’s very pale hand. Under normal and non-threatening circumstances, she would marvel at the sight of it because it was her first time seeing the thing, but seeing it barely holding onto Percy’s hand which was shaking violently and looking seconds away from dropping it pushed any marvel feeling aside. 

Hades looked as though he had solved the case, but Snow knew there must be something else going on. No way did Percy go through all that trouble to demand the bolt back while having it with him the whole time. 

“You heroes are always the same,” Hades said. “Your pride makes you foolish, thinking you could bring such a weapon before me. I did not ask for Zeus’ master bolt, but since it is here, you will yield it to me. I am sure it would make an excellent bargaining tool,” he paused. “And now…my helm. Where is it?” 

And that was another problem. Percy only took out the bolt, and seeing how he was looking just as troubled as the rest of them, it was safe to assume he doesn’t really have it. Now, if they weren’t already dead before, they sure will in a few seconds once Hades sees they don’t have it. Snow silently prayed for the nice looking afterlife. 

“Lord Hades, wait. This is all a mistake,” Percy said. 

Oh, they were really dead now. The look on Hades’ face looked murderous. “A mistake?” he roared. 

The skeletons raised their weapons. From high above, there was a fluttering of leathery wings, and the three Furies swooped down to perch on the top of their master’s throne. One of them grinned excitedly at them, Percy the most. And with the whip in her hand, Snow knew that was Ms. Dodds. 

“There is no mistake,” Hades said. “I know why you have come-I know the real reason you brought the bolt. You came to bargain for her.”

Hades loosed a ball of gold fire from his palm. It exploded on the steps in front of Percy, and it showed a woman, frozen in a shower of gold. From the forlorn look Percy was giving her and Grover’s shocked expression, it wasn’t hard to assume that this was Percy’s mother. 

Percy sent a longing look towards his mother, reaching out to touch her but quickly retracted because the fire was extremely hot. Snow glanced at him slightly with sadness. 

“Yes,” Hades said in satisfaction. “I took her. I knew, Percy Jackson, that you would come to bargain with me eventually. Return my helm, and perhaps I’ll let her go,” he paused for a moment. “She’s not dead, you know. Not yet. But if you displease me, that will change.”

Snow felt like she was watching a drama show at this point. She also felt like she was invading in some way, because this back and forth has only been between Percy and Hades. Neither she, Annabeth or Grover have said anything and really what was there to say at this point? Snow firmly believed Percy would never do such a thing, she’s been with him throughout this whole journey unlike Hades. He wouldn’t not only jeopardize the mission but also his mother by feigning innocence. Besides, when did Percy have the time to smuggle in the bolt? His first bag exploded at the bus and the bag he had now was giving to him by-

…Oh gods…

“Ah, the pearls,” Hades continued. “Yes, my brother and his little tricks. Bring them forth, Percy Jackson.” 

She watched as his hands moved to his pockets and brought out the pearls. Snow hoped he wasn’t going to comply, that was their only way out of here.

Hades took a look at the pearls. “Only four. What a shame,” he shook his head. “You do realize each only protects one person. Try to take your mother then, little godling. And which of your friends will you leave behind to spend eternity with me? Go on. Choose. Or give me the backpack and accept my terms.”

Snow White- Percy Jackson¹On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara