Chapter Eighteen

Snow and her Friends Settle and End WWIII

🍎

It’s quite fascinating what the mist and humans themselves can do to the mortal mind. 

The L.A news reported what happened at the beach between the showdown of Percy and Ares. Only, to them and everyone watching, the explosion when a crazy kidnapper fired a gun at the police car. He had accidentally hit the main gas which caused the earthquake. 

The same kidnapper (aka Ares) was the same person that kidnapped all four of them in New York and brought them across the country on a ten-day scary road trip. 

Snow had to give them credit, the story was creative, however greatly unrealistic. At least to her and her friends. Whenever she thought about how Ares was bested by a twelve year-old, it brought a smile to her face. Then when she thought about how she spoke to him, she wanted to puke and cry. She tried not to think about what her father would do to retaliate. Curse her of some kind? Tell her siblings? That one scared her, visualizing what they would do after they found out she called out their father. 

So as to not give herself nightmares, she thought about what she and her friends did with the media’s perception of what happened to them. They played Percy as the innocent victim, being made as a delinquent by Ares. So according to them, Percy caused a commotion on that Greyhound bus in New Jersey trying to get away from his captor (and witnesses even began to question their own memory as they said they saw the said captor on the bus). The crazy man had caused the explosion in the St. Louis Arch, the diner where they had met Ares reported seeing the man threaten his abductees outside the diner, even got a friend to take a picture. 

But then the brave and courageous Percy had stolen the gun from Ares in Los Angeles and battled him shotgun-to-rifle on the beach. Police had arrived just in time. But in the spectacu-lar explosion, five police cars had been destroyed and the captor had fled. No fatalities had occurred. Percy Jackson and his three friends were safely in police custody. 

The reporters fed them this story, and they all just nodded and played the part of fearful, tired but relieved kids that were happy to be free from their captor. (Snow could say that she was the MVP on the emotional department-not to brag). But the best part was when Percy stepped forward to speak. 

“All I want,” Percy said, choking back tears. “Is to see my loving stepfather again. Every time I saw him on TV, calling me a delinquent punk, I knew…somehow…we would be okay,” Snow fought the smile that was threatening to appear. “And I know he'll want to reward each and every person in this beautiful city of Los Angeles with a free major appliance from his store. Here's the phone number." The police and reporters were so moved that they passed around the hat and raised money for three tickets on the next plane to New York.

That moment would forever be Snow’s favourite part of the whole quest. On the plane, it was relatively normal. Snow and Percy sat near the window, Snow taking the window seat for Percy’s sake. Annabeth and Grover were seated in front of them. 

Snow has been on a plane before, she and her mother would sometimes take a plane to France during the summer to visit relatives and see the city. But this was her first time being on a plane alone, without the company of her mother. Snow was nervous straight out, but hers was nothing compared to Percy. His arms were tightly gripping on the armrest, his shoulders were upwards and he frequently shifted in his seat. 

Whenever there was a turbulence, he would wince and his grip on the armrest would tighten. Snow could even hear a small whimper escaping his mouth and she wanted to yell at Zeus to stop messing with him.