Chapter Four

Meeting The Hot Sun god 

🍎

Snow knew that whatever Percy had to say to them, it wasn’t good. If his tone and the words have anything to go by. She also took notice of Bianca walking over to Nico, taking him a few distance away and speaking quietly. The boy’s face went from curiosity to disbelief to sadness. Snow’s heart pained at his expression, whatever she was telling him must not be good. 

Thalia and Grover looked anxious to hear about Percy’s meeting with Artemis, and she was too. So when he told them, Snow wished she didn’t. First the Hunters were going to be at camp (oh boy…) now she’s hearing that Bianca joined the Hunt? Snow's heart ached for the boy, but she couldn’t fully pass judgement on Bianca. She didn’t know her, and as such can’t assess her opinion. 

Grover’s face turned pale. “The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn’t end well.”

“I’ll say,” Snow sighed. “You should’ve seen it. It was like a mini war.”

And that was putting it mildly. The Hunters made it blatantly clear that they did not like being in camp. And their methods of expressing it was often through aggressive and hostile acts, annoying everyone and challenging people to competitions. Mainly in the archery and capture the flag department. Snow can still remember every complaint her half-siblings spouted in their cabin. Everyone practically celebrated when they left. 

“How’d they even show up here?” Percy wondered. “I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere.”

“And Bianca joined them,” Thalia said, disgusted. “It’s all Zoe’s fault. That stuck-up, no good–” 

“Who can blame her?” Grover said. “Eternity with Artemis?” He heaved a big sigh. 

Snow gave him a weird look while Thalia rolled her eyes. “You satyrs. You’re all in love with Artemis. Don’t you get she’ll never love you back?” 

“But she's so… into nature,” Grover swooned. 

“You're nuts,” said Thalia. 

“Nuts and berries,” Grover said dreamily. “Yeah.”

Snow couldn’t help but laugh at the banter, which prompted Percy to do the same, though much more contained. 

Finally, the sky began to lighten. Artemis muttered, “About time. He’s so-o-o lazy during the winter.” 

“You’re, um, waiting for sunrise?” Percy asked. 

“For my brother, yes.” 

Snow watched his face scrunch up a little, probably trying to make sense of Apollo being the literal sun when science told him otherwise. Artemis guessed this too, for she said, “It’s not exactly as you think.” 

“Oh, okay,” he started to relax. “So he’s not like he’ll be pulling up in a–” 

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth. 

“Don’t look,” Artemis advised. “Not until he parks.” 

Snow didn’t need to see Percy to know he looked very befuddled. The others followed Artemis’ words. The light and warmth got higher and higher, until Snow felt she could take off her winter jacket and not be so cold. Then suddenly the light died. 

That was Snow’s cue to look up. What she saw was a very shiny, very glowing fancy sports car. At least, she thinks it’s a sports car. Looks like one. The snow around it melted in an instant, creating a perfect circle, including where Snow and the rest were standing. Their feet now stood on grassy ground instead of snow.