Chapter Ten

Escaping Circe’s Island

🍎

Snow hasn’t necessarily been at a spa. 

She and her mom have pampered themselves before, but it was between themselves. And it usually consisted of nail painting and face masks, nothing too major. When she and Annabeth separated from Percy and were taken to a room for a makeover, Snow tried not to let the beautiful decor overshadow the sharp instinct of negative nerves. 

The title resort really lived up to its name the more Snow saw more of the place. Every wall was a design carved of the most intricate of details, the spa equipment all looked brand new, as though they had recently installed them, not a sign that showed it had been used at least several times. Annabeth wouldn’t stop pointing out all the architecture details to Snow, who was mildly listening. 

First thing Hylla and another lady did was to give Snow and Annabeth a bath. And by bath, as in a full on bubble bath with scented soaps that covered the whole large tub with bubbles. When Snow’s body made contact with the warm water, it was as if she died and arrived at heaven. All the tense muscles all over her body suddenly evaporated. The sweat, dirt and grime washed away, leaving the girls’ skin smooth and smelling like lavender. 

“I’m not a pamper kind of girl, but I might change my mind after this,” Annabeth sighed in bliss. 

“Hmm–” Snow hummed, before her brain flashed to Percy. Suddenly all that tense feeling came back, making her sit upright within the tub. “Annabeth,” when the blonde didn’t respond, Snow tried again. “Annabeth. Annabeth! Snap out of it!” 

“What do you mean?” her voice sounded dreamy, as though she was lost in her own world.

“Percy. Quest. Fleece. Grover?” Snow said. “Remember those? We’re on a limited time here.” 

“We still have time,” she said, sinking deeply into the water. 

Snow sighed exasperatedly. Were they really going to go through this again? 

Before she could say anything more, the two ladies came in. After escorting the girls out of their tub, they guided them to a station to wash their hair next. Snow couldn’t risk saying anything in front of C.C’s staff, so she begrudgingly stayed quiet as they washed, dried and styled their hair. Annabeth’s blonde curls were much longer than Snow’s short, curly bob, so they mostly paid more attention to her. But that didn’t mean Snow was free. Both she and Annabeth’s hair was braided in gold thread. After hair styling, came makeup then finally dressing. They were both given white, sleeveless silk dresses similar to C.C’s. 

After the pampering, they were given a tour of the place. Of course, the ones they lingered on the most catered to their interests. Annabeth almost squealed when she saw the library. Asking questions upon questions on the collection and how much they own. Snow’s was a tour of the island’s petting zoo, where it featured animals from the domestic to the wild. The wild animals behaved more like the domestic than anything. 

Snow was even given the permission to pet them, which was wonderful, but she tried to not give into the temptation. 

Percy, Grover, Quest, Cyclops, Camp, Fleece. Snow constantly repeated. 

“Perfect! You two are ready!” Hylla smiled proudly. “Come, C.C must see the new and improved you.” 

Annabeth looked excited while Snow was hesitant. Throughout the makeup and dressing process, she didn’t have the time to try and snap her blonde friend out of her blissful state. Hylla and the rest of C.C’s staff were always with them, and the two were somewhat separated, as they had their own stations, giving little path for Snow to talk to Annabeth. But now that they were trailing behind Hylla, Snow decided to give it another go.