Chapter Eleven

Snow and Friends Take Some Animals To Vegas

🍎

When seeing the war god up ahead, waiting for them at the parking lot, Snow tried really, really hard to suppress the sudden raging anger that was itching to be let out. She's never expressed this type of anger before, and she didn't want it to be let out of control. But something about seeing her dad's smug face really tempted her. 

But she wouldn't show anger. She would not be angry, Snow would approach this in a calm, collected manner.

"Well, well. You didn't get yourself killed." His voice radiated amusement. 

"You knew it was a trap." Percy stated.

Ares gave a wicked grin that almost caused Snow to freeze in fear. "Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids. You looked good on TV." 

Snow felt like she was being slapped in the face multiple times. He even glanced at her when he said those words. Her grip on the shield grew tighter, and it was hard to suppress the urge to frown in front of his eyes. Snow just handed the shield to him, which he took with a grin, Percy spitting how Ares was a jerk. 

Annabeth and Grover naturally grew fearful, while Snow was in this odd in-between of fear and agreement towards the statement. 

The war god wasn't even phased. He just spun the shield like a pizza dough in the air. It changed and melted into a bulletproof vest to which he slung it across his back. 

"See that truck over there?" He pointed to an eighteen-wheeler parked across the street from the diner. "That's your ride. Take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

The eighteen-wheeler had a sign on the back, which was easier to read because of the letters being white on a black background. The sign read: KINDNESS INTER-NATIONAL: HUMANE ZOO TRANSPORT. WARNING: LIVE WILD ANIMALS.

Snow raised a brow. A truck transporting animals? Normally she would be ecstatic to be near animals, she loved them, but an uncomfortable feeling aroused when looking at the truck. For one thing, the name of it was a little odd. And a conclusion bloomed in her mind, but she didn't want to quickly assume. 

"You're kidding." Percy's voice brought her back to the conversation.

Ares snapped his fingers. The back door of the truck unlatched. "Free ride west, punk. Stop complaining. And here's a little something for doing the job."

He slung a blue nylon backpack off his handlebars and tossed it forward. Snow, assuming it was going to land on her, raised her arm high to catch it… only for it to fly over her head and land on Percy instead. Awkwardly, she lowered her hand, humiliated. 

Inside were fresh clothes for all of them, twenty dollars in cash, a pouch full of golden drachmas, and a bag of Double Stuf Oreos. Percy scrunched his face, looking not at all grateful for the new resources given to them. 

"I don't want your lousy-"

"Thank you, father, for the generous gift," Snow bowed, blocking the boy from Ares' view while Annabeth and Grover gave him the stink eye from behind. "We promise to use these, we are very grateful." 

Ares did not look at all impressed, gazing down at his daughter as if she was an annoying flea.

"Don't you ever speak like a normal person? Honestly, it seems you're learning nothing from your siblings," He scoffed, then shoved her aside forcefully. "Now out of the way, punk, before I blast you to bits."