Chapter Seven

A 'Great' Start To A Sisterly Quest

🍎

Snow was woken from her sleep by a harsh kick that sent her flying off the bed. With a groan, she got up, rubbing her head. The shocking impact erased any sleepiness she would have gotten. Clarisse stood on the other side, a hard look on her face as her bag slung over her shoulder.

“Wake up, we don’t have much time,” she said. 

“We don’t leave till after breakfast and we’re given a send off,” Snow said. 

Clarisse rolled her eyes, like Snow said something ridiculous. “I want to be prepared. We’ll have our bags during breakfast. Let’s go.”

She didn’t wait around for Snow to respond, already heading out the door. Sighing, Snow quickly changed and got her bag, after making sure necessities such as clothes, nectar, food and such were there (she did not bring her books, she learned that the last time) and followed Clarisse. 

During breakfast, people were sending Clarisse proud gazes and smiles, especially her half-siblings, constantly praising her and saying how awesome it was that she was going on the quest to ‘be a true hero for the Ares cabin’. Snow rolled her eyes whenever they would give her a glare when they said that, not bothering to be subtle about it. In addition to the nasty look she was constantly receiving, she felt bothered, not able to eat her food. She glanced over at the Athena and Poseidon table for what seemed to be the sixth time with the same result. 

Annabeth and Percy were missing. 

Snow knew Percy wouldn’t sleep in and miss the chance to see her off, neither did Annabeth (at least she thinks they wouldn't). Tyson wasn’t even here either. She tried catching the Athena children’s eyes to see if they knew of their sister's whereabouts. But not only did none of them look her way, they never even looked up from each other, all whispering and looking very confused. They too had no idea where Annabeth was. 

The amount of worry bubbling within Snow made her lose any source of appetite. She didn’t want to think about it, but considering how upset Percy was at not being granted a quest when the situation clearly involved him, she only guessed that he, Annabeth and Tyson must have snuck out somehow. 

What hurt was that they didn’t include her. It wasn't like they knew she was Clarisse’s pick to accompany her on the quest, so why didn’t they sneak Snow out? It was confusing and Snow tried to not feel betrayed. 

The next thing that worried her was they snuck out without permission. And no doubt Mr. D and Tantalus know they’re absent. She could just sense it by the satisfying look on the latter’s face and the annoyed expression on the former. 

After everyone finished their food, Tantalus rose from his seat, getting everyone’s attention.

“It is with great honor that we send farewell to our Champion, as she bravely sails the Sea of Monsters in a chivalrous effort to bring prosperity back to this camp,” he said, muttering under his breath during the last few words. “Clarisse, I assume you have a vehicle to carry you across the ocean?” 

Clarisse nodded, trying her best to put on a confident smile. “Yes, sir.” 

Snow tried to not look too confused, so as not to raise suspicion. They didn’t have transportation, at least as far as Snow knows. Maybe Clarisse found a way while visiting the Oracle, who knows. As everyone clapped and cheered, Tantalus cleared his throat again. 

“But before we send our champion off, there is a serious matter to address. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, Annabeth Chase and Percy Jackson are not present.”