Chapter Eight

Clarisse Blows Everything Up

🍎

As soon as Percy and Annabeth cameinto view, Snow wasted no time in running up to them, a large grin on her face as she waved her right arm wildly. 

“Guys!”

“Snow?” Percy and Annabeth exclaimed in shock. 

“Surprise,” Snow smiled. 

It was indeed a surprise. After Percy was done talking to Hermes and Annabeth and Tyson ran over to him, claiming that he was in trouble, he was confused as to why Snow wasn’t also given the same faux dream. Unfortunately they didn’t have time to ponder on it for they had to move before the Harpies caught them. 

Since then, Percy couldn’t stop the guilt that was gnawing at him whenever he thought of Snow (he wasn’t going to say how often). The quest already felt off without Grover, but now that Snow wasn’t with them, it felt all the more odd. The only thing that kept him assured was that she was safe and sound at Camp. 

Which clearly wasn’t the case now. 

“Wait, you mean Clarisse brought you along for the quest?” Annabeth asked, starting at Clarisse with surprise. 

Clarisse gave her a death glare as she continued to show them around the ship. It wasn’t much, just a dark space that was filled with dead soldiers that were gradually overcrowding the place. 

Snow nodded. “It’s still shocking,” she said. “Also,” like a switch, her happy aura turned stern. “What were you three thinking? Do you know how much trouble you guys are in?” 

Clarisse let out an obnoxious laugh, “Ha! I was getting to that! Guess what, you’ve just been expelled from camp for all eternity. Courtesy of Tantalus,” she told them smugly. “Then Mr. D said if you ever show your faces at camp, he’ll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV.”

“Did they give you this ship?” Percy asked. 

“Course not. My father did.”

Ares?” Percy questioned incredulously, turning to Snow. 

“Don’t look at me. He answered her,” she pointed to Clarisse who was sneering.

“You think your daddy is the only one with sea power?” said Clairsse. “The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That’s their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is.” 

“These soldiers would do anything we tell them,” Snow added. “Right, Captain?” 

The captain stood behind Snow and Clarisse, looking angry and stiff. His glowing green eyes fixed Percy with a hungry stare. “If it means an end to this infernal war, ma’am, peace at last, we’ll do anything. Destroy anyone.” 

Clarisse smiled. “Destroy anyone. I like that.”

Snow, however, winced. “Yeah, I don’t. Please no destroying. At least in front of me.”

The smile was wiped from Clarisse’s face, and was replaced with an annoyed frown. 

“Pacifist,” coughed Clarisse. 

Snow rolled her eyes as Tyson gulped at the destroying part. 

“Snow, Clarisse,” Annabeth said, “Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He’s got the coordinates and he’s heading south. He has a cruise ship full of monsters—”