Chapter Five

Percy Almost Gets Killed By A god. Again

🍎

Snow was busy making sure that her clothes and hair didn’t get too wet while conversations were happening behind her. In addition to doing that, she also took a look around, quickly realizing that not a lot of campers decided to stay year-long. It wasn’t the first time Snow has seen times where people decided they would brace the monsters rather than stay at camp. 

Her second notice came when Bianca came up and took Nico aside to talk. She whispered something in his ear, then paused for an answer, but Nico just scowled and turned away.

“Take care sweethearts!” Apollo called after the Hunters, and Snow too surprisingly. She really tried to not look too flustered by the smirk he was giving her. Then he winked at Percy. “Watch out for those prophecies, Percy. I’ll see you soon.” 

“What do you mean?” Percy asked. 

Instead of answering, he hopped back in the bus. “Later, Thalia,” he said. “And, uh, be good!” 

He gave Thalia a wicked smile, as if he knew something she didn’t. Then he closed the doors and revved the engine. Percy and Snow turned to the side as the sun chariot took off in a blast of heat. When they looked back, the lake was steaming. A red car soared over the woods, glowing brighter and climbing higher until it disappeared in a ray of sunlight. 

Nico was looking grumpy, making the two friends wonder what Bianca had told him. 

“Who’s Chiron?” he asked. “I don’t have his figurine.” 

“Our activities director,” Percy said. “He’s…well, you’ll see.” 

“If those Hunter girls don’t like him, Nico grumbled. “Then that’s good enough for me. Let’s go.” 

Walking through camp just made the fact that there were less people around seem more prominent. Though there were a few recognizable faces. There was Charles Beckandorf, a guy that Snow remembered Silena gushing about one time when she came to visit. The Stoll brothers, Travis and Conner, were arguing with an Apollo kid about something. A few of Snow’s siblings were having a snowball fight with the wood nymphs at the edge of the forest. Snow was relieved to see that Clarisse didn’t seem to be around, though just seeing her other siblings put her on edge. Last year’s big quest was still in her memories. 

Travis was the first to notice Snow walking by and gained a wide grin. He left his brother with an Apollo girl they were arguing with, to jog up to his best friend. When he reached her, he slung an arm over her shoulder, surprising her and her companions. 

“Travis!” Snow beamed, hugging him tightly. “Hey, how’ve you been?” 

“Oh great, Snow White, great,” Travis grinned. “Say, Con and I need your help with something.”

Snow tilted her head. “What?” 

“There’s a new camper that came recently. A few days ago I think,” he said. “She’s been out of it for days, only now she woke up.” 

“Okay…” Snow wasn’t really seeing how this was her problem. Unless she was claimed as an Ares kid, she didn’t see why Travis was coming to her for this. 

Travis, having read her mind through her expression, brought her closer to him. He suddenly felt someone burning into his soul, but he ignored it. “This girl is seriously pretty, Conner and I got a glimpse of her when she came into camp. We’ve been trying to talk to her but those Apollo kids won’t let us through. Said something about causing her more stress by our bad flirting.”