Chapter Six

Snow And Friends Ruin A Perfectly Good Bus

🍎

Snow was a nervous wreck to say the least. As soon as she walked out of the Big House, she headed straight towards the Hermes cabin. She didn't bother waving goodbye to Percy, her mind was still swimming with the idea she was going on a quest. Normally Chiron was very strict about the rule of three, the ideal number of a group quest, but the fact that he hand picked her for this mission made it all the more nerve wracking. 

What if she messed up? What if she turned out to be useless or got her friends killed? What then? She would have killed not only her best friend, but the key to stopping a war within Olympus and she would be branded as responsible. Everyone would hate her, she would he ruled as the one who started a godly war, her father would hate her, her friends would hate her, she-

"You look stressed. Are you okay?"

Snow gazed up and saw Luke casually leaning against the door of his cabin. His brows were raised, observing her panicked state.

"Uh, yeah, just lost in thought," Snow sighed, pulling herself together. "Are the Stolls in there? I want to talk to them."

"About?"

"Um… I've been offered to go on a quest. With Percy." 

Luke's eyes widened, an undescribed emotion passed through his eyes. "Really?" He simply said.

"Yeah. Need an opinion on this. I mean, I've already accepted, but I want to hear what my friends have to say," Snow said. "So are they in there or…?"

"They're busy. But I can provide some insight if you want to." 

Snow hesitated, she didn't know Luke all that well, but she didn't want to turn him down; she'd feel guilty if she did. So she nodded. Luke bobbed his head at the spot next to him, letting Snow stand next.

"Speaking from a guy who's been on one, I won't say the journey won't be dangerous." Luke said.

Snow shook her head. "It's not like I don't know that. I'm just worried I'll mess everything up, or turn out to be useless."

Luke stared at her, "What makes you think that?"

"Well, I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not exactly a favorite sibling amongst the godly side of my family." Snow sighed. "Very few of the Ares cabin have been on a quest. And, now that I think about it, they'll probably kill me when they find out that I was offered a quest and they didn't. My dad's probably laughing on his throne right now."

A cold demeanor passed by Luke at the mention of a god. He slung his arm around Snow, pulling her close. The girl gasped in surprise, a bit tense about the action. She didn't mean to feel this way, but she didn't think she was close enough to warrant an action like this. 

"You shouldn't be trying to seek your father's approval. He's never treated you right in the first place."

"I-I know, but he's still my dad. And impressing your godly parent is a big deal."

"It shouldn't be! They don't care about us, going on a life-threatening quest shouldn't be the thing that makes them give us a second glance!" Luke yelled.

Snow stood frozen, eyes wide at his claims. Luke seemed to realize what he did and calmed down, a smile appeared on his lips and his usual casual demeanor appeared. It was as if he didn't just yell his distaste just a second ago.

"Just… don't rely too much on trying to get your dad's attention. Just focus on succeeding and coming back alive. Okay?"

Snow slowly nodded. They heard someone call Snow's name. Looking ahead, they saw the Stolls and Will heading their way. Beaming, Snow went to walk up to her friends, but couldn't leave because Luke still had his arms around her.