8

this is the hymn y/n hums to donna to calm her down
———————

My heart broke a little and I hung my head. 'I did react a little too harsh... But... That goddess... She can offer [Y/N] so much more than I can...'

I took a deep breath and raised my hand, ready to knock, before green smoke billowed from under the door, making me pause and listen in. There was silence for a moment before hurried footsteps and a soft chuckle. I let my arm fall to my side as I continued to listen, desperate to find out who was visiting now and why. The silence remained before the shuffling of clothes was heard and a faint sniffle.

"Hi, auntie," Came [Y/N]'s scratchy voice. "I guess Isa told you first?"

"Indeed," The goddess sighed out. "Ignore Aphrodite and do things at your own pace. We'll always be around if you need help, but don't let her ruin something good. Even if you remain just friends, it's a good friendship, right?"

'Does she already have a crush on someone?'

"Yeah, I know... But I want more. I know I shouldn't be greedy, it's what nearly cost Isa and me our godhood before, but I can't help it. She makes me happy — makes me feel alive! I just... I don't want to scare her."

"That's why you should go at your own pace. Give her time to calm down, then offer to take her for a picnic. I'll make sure the weather is perfect, so don't worry about that, and you just focus on apologizing for Aphrodite's behavior."

'...No... She can't... Right? Maybe I should call Alcina back...'

I quietly backed away from the door and made my way to my office. Once inside, I shut and locked the door, hurrying toward my desk. I sat down and dialed Alcina's number yet again, nervously chewing the inside of my cheek. The ringing stopped almost as quickly as it had begun, making me jump slightly until I heard Daniela's voice on the other side.

"Hi, auntie Donna! Did you need something again?"

"Hi, sweetheart," I hummed with a smile. "I need to speak with your mother again. And don't worry, we've already arranged a time for me to come visit again."

"I'll get mother!" With a purr, she — assumingly — set the phone down on Alcina's vanity and moved away from it, allowing me to hear her calling for her mother without hurting my ears. "Mother! Auntie called back!"

There was no verbal response, but once I heard the clicking of heels through the phone, I let out a relieved sigh. "Thank you, Daniela. The Duke's here, go see if he has any books in stock that we don't have." A squeal was heard, followed by buzzing that faded quickly.

"Such a precious child," I chuckled and waited for Alcina to address me.

"Indeed she is. Did you forget to tell me something earlier?"

I was silent for a moment — collecting my thoughts — before I explained everything I heard to her. Alcina listened to it all, letting out a sigh once I finished explaining. Her initial response was to have me go and apologize for trying to distance myself, but now I was convinced she'd want to mediate the apology.