A Lingering Fancy • Daphne Bridgerton (a.)

MAIN OC • Joanna Laurence

FACECLAIM • Gemma Chan

LOVE INTEREST • Daphne Bridgerton

TIMELINE • Season 1

"People will talk if they see us dancing together like this."

"Let them talk."

Daphne Bridgerton and Joanna Laurence had been inseparable since the moment they laid eyes on each other. Despite their difference in social standing, with Daphne the daughter of a Viscount, and Joanna only a banker's daughter, they were enamored. At six years old, the two girls became the most intimate of friends, so close that Daphne had practically demanded that Joanna be hired as her personal maidservant when it came time for Joanna to begin earning her own wages. So the girls spent every spare moment with each other, had tea parties in the garden, bothered daphne's older brothers incessantly, and tugged little Eloise's unkempt curls.

It wasn't until Joanna turned thirteen that the feeling of friendship began to deepen. It wasn't that Joanna awoke one day to find butterflies in her stomach when she saw her best friend in a dressing gown, it was a slow build of tender moments and whispered words beneath their favorite flowering tree. It blossomed from the way Daphne laughed and hooked her arm through Joanna's to lead them along a morning promenade. It was the copper of her hair, the vibrant blue in her eyes, the perfect porcelain skin. It was every fiber of Daphne Bridgerton that Joanna adored.

Each year her heart grew fonder of the eldest Bridgerton daughter, and each year Joanna knew their intimacy was coming to a close. At twenty-one years, Daphne was finally ready to enter the marriage market, and her closest friend and maid was tasked with making sure she looked like the perfect bride. Joanna had never known such pain as she watched Daphne swept across the dance floor by men vying for the attention of the season's diamond. However, the meddling words of the elusive Lady Whistledown set Daphne skittering off course and into the arms of the Duke of Hastings.

When Daphne makes a deal with Simon Hastings to redeem her reputation and secure a marriage alliance, Joanna is the only person entrusted with the secret. As Daphne and Joanna navigate the pitfalls of high society, buried feelings are brought to the surface, and Daphne begins to realize that maybe Joanna wasn't just her most intimate friend. Perhaps her heart was already claimed, if only she'd realized sooner, maybe they could've avoided this all.

NOTES

— Throughout everything Joanna will be the one constant support Daphne has and this is how Daphne gradually realizes her feelings

— In my Bridgerton fics homophobia is not a thing because if we can get rid of racism in this universe we can get rid of homophobia

— They will definitely do some "practicing for the boys" together lol

— A happy ending is in store because it Bridgerton and I want my babies happy