54. Scores To Settle

2/5 updates.  May 26th.

     Rain challenged Cain as soon as she could and won for the first time in awhile. They had several more rounds which resulted in two losses and two wins in total. Rain wasn't entirely satisfied, but she had yet to feel the depth of her new strength.

     Rain used the excuse of gathering information to visit Snow and Winston. She didn't really need an excuse and it wasn't entirely one. Snow congratulated her and told her the latest news. It was possible that the ape king was a rootless beast himself, but they weren't able to confirm that. The best way to defend against the mental attacks was raw strength and mental fortitude. It was pretty vague, but it was what they got.

     Rain held her head high as she slithered through the castle. The bear king stopped her and chatted. Alexander was as she remembered him and she conversed with him. Alexander congratulated her and she went on her way.

     Winston's expression barely showed anything as Rain approached. He immediately noticed her extra stripe. "Congratulations Rain." He knew she was training vigorously since the year prior. He had hoped she would take it easier since she had cubs, but he didn't try to stop her. He had been busy himself. Most of the new residents had lodging and the salt had been distributed. He still had various things to take care of from squabbles to food shortages.

     Rain nodded her head, but grew disappointed at the lack of reaction. She shouldn't have expected more. Rain couldn't add anything before Winston had an audience. Rain left disheartened and sought out Damon. It was time for them to settle something important.

     Rain found the male after asking the guards for information. She figured Winston would learn of her actions soon anyhow, but not before she could confront the tiger. Damon was tanning some hides for one of the city's females. Rain figured he was still undergoing his punishment.

     Damon looked up from his task and stiffened. He had scented someone familiar and scanned the premises. His eyes met dark red irises that he was familiar with. He did not fail to notice the additional stripe on Rains's neck.

     Damon sat the furs down and stood up. He knew this day would come, but he didn't think it would be so soon. Rain's growth speed was greater than what he predicted. He had toiled away at mindless tasks as he answered to the limitless demands of the cities females. He would have done so for as long as necessary since that was his punishment.

     Rain stared at the male and felt the memories of that day rise to the forefront of her thoughts. Her humiliation and ire burned strongly, but she refused to let the emotions control her. Rain opened her mouth and spit out her words as coldly as she could. "Damon."

     "Rain," Damon replied. He knew why she was here. There were no other possibilities. Damon turned around and stalked out of the residential area. Rain followed behind him.

     Once they were a safe distance away, they began their fight without ceremony or words. They both proceeded cautiously and waited for the other to move. When Damon gave her an opening, Rain took it.

     Rain lunged in her half-shifted form, but pulled back immediately before she reached Damon. She felt the sound of something whizz past her where she used to be. She clung lowly to the ground and aimed for Damon's legs. When Damon jumped to avoid her, she sprung after.

     Rain seized Damon's leg and he grabbed her tail. Rain immediately shifted her tail to legs, surprising the tiger. Rain pulled her body down and twisted. Once her legs touched the ground she flattened her body, narrowly dodging Damon's blow.