38. Kings

Winston was busy and looked exhausted. He did to Rain anyway. It was only a slight change, but she could tell. He brought her in after discussing something with the bear and leopard kings. Rain tipped her head in acknowledgement at both kings and bowed her head deeper to Winston.

     "What do you need Rain?" Winston commanded with authority.

     Rain's eye twitched, but she let it brush off of her. There was no reason to get upset over this. She had accepted him as her king and had no reason to feel offended.

     Rain got straight to the point. "I want my family and I to join the salt caravan."

     Winston blinked and thought about it. He did not care for the idea, but the ape king was showing interest in Rain and Snow. Whether she stays or goes, there are risks. "You have thought hard on this?" He questioned, but did not immediately reject her.

     "Yes, I have," Rain responded cooly without a hint of hesitation.

     The bear king spoke up. "It is dangerous to bring a female. There is no gain in that."   

     Rain's eye twitched again and she stared coldly at the king. He wasn't being illogical, Rain understood that much. That being said, she was no burden.

     "I'm am fully capable of protecting myself." Rain stated.

     "I see your stripes and Winston has spoke of you, however briefly. You will distract the males." It was another valid point, but Rain wasn't going to take 'no' for an answer without a stronger reason.

     "I can remain in my beast form. Unless the males have a great love for snakes, they will keep their heads." Rain managed to shut him down, so she added. "If I go, my mate goes as well. He is a doctor. That'll benefit the party."

     The bear king thought about it. He wasn't the most intelligent beast, but he was smart enough to use the opportunities in front of him. His sons would be participating in the caravan. He hid his smile. It'll be a good chance to see what this female was made of. His mate wasn't the only one who was curious about the only marked female.

     With no more protests from the bear king, Winston spoke up. "You can go. However, you will have to obey the bear king's orders. Can you accept that?"

     "Yes." Rain did not care for the bear king, but it wasn't personal. She didn't like any beasts outside of her family. Still, this bear king has acted on reason and logic. Most bears were not so intelligent or self-disciplined. She could accept this.

      Rain turned to leave, she felt a small amount of disappointment. It had been a while since she saw Winston, but he was too busy for any pleasantries and Rain wasn't one for them anyway. She would see him again when the caravan was ready to leave. She bid him farewell and left.

     The leopard king did not add anything to the conversation while in the hall, but stopped Rain outside of it. "Snow wants to see you soon." He refrained form ordering her and she acknowledged that. She did feel like she owed Snow some of her time and also wanted to ask her about her pregnancies.

     "Okay, will today work?" It's best to be decisive and not put it off. Rain wanted to see how Snow's pregnancy was affected by their cold-blooded nature.

     "Yes," he answered relieved.

     Before they could go the bear king stopped them. "Female."

     Rain frowned and said, "Rain." She had a name and he must be aware of that.

     The bear king stood well over a head taller than her while in her partially shifted form. His dark skin was dull from the lack of nutrition. His muscles were still imposing, but he was thin. His short black hair was ruffled and it looked like he just woke up. Cold season hits most beasts hard and the bear king wasn't an exception.