11. Ew, Feelings

Rain looked up at the sky.  Clouds were partially blocking the sun and a light breeze brushed against her. It was the middle of the hot season.  There was still enough time until the weather would turn cold.  Still, too much work would have to be done to prepare for hibernation.

     Rain sighed, on top of everything else, she was close to her shed.  She no longer wished to stay where she was, but also did not wish to leave.  This was her territory after all.  Despite the warm weather, a shiver tried to overtake her.  It was her territory, and she failed to protect herself while in it.

     Rain was still unsettled by the discovery of the black crystal.  She was more heavily impacted then she led on. She needed time to recollect her thoughts and organize her goals.  She was also close to her shed and needed to plan accordingly.

     Feeling a headache coming on, Rain looked at Third.  He was currently pacing back and forth in the nude, mumbling incoherently.  Shaking her head, she eyed a stoic Winston who was siting by her creek lost in thought.

     Rain wanted to bury the negative feelings.  Although her outburst the day before wasn't her true thoughts, she still blamed herself for being weak enough to be influenced.  As the feelings of guilt swirled inside her, Rain thought about how to apologize.

     Rain had never felt the need to apologize to any beast before and she wasn't sure how to do so now.  She tried to consult the Legacy.  Her father had only apologized to his mate and his ancestors were the same.  They never cared enough about anyone other then their spouses to apologize to them.

     Rain, wasn't sure what to do.  She hated that she was wrong; that she wanted to hurt Winston.   She hated that she was weak.  Uncomfortable in her own skin, she hesitantly approached the tiger.

     Winston had been thinking hard on how to ask Rain to come back to the city.  He knew how much her independence meant to her, but his worry had spiked during his short time here.  He wanted to at least keep her under protection until she shed.  If he could help her find a new den as well, that would be great.

     Winston just could not figure out how to ask without upsetting Rain.  He knew she was sensitive right now and did not want to overly agitate her.  Sensing movement, Winston looked up to see Rain approaching him with a downcast gaze.

     Winston frowned.  He wasn't used to seeing her so apprehensive.  Rain had always been the bold type and it bothered him seeing her so... meek.

     Standing in front of Winston, Rain opened her mouth to speak.  No words came out.  She had come to apologize.  Now that she was here, she found that the words would not come.  She felt like she would be less somehow if she apologized.  Even though she knew it wasn't true, it was still difficult for her.

     Winston stared at Rain and waited patiently.  He knew that she was struggling with something and he wanted to make it easier for her.  Winston did not want to say anything.  Rain always seemed to be mad at him whenever he spoke and he didn't want to make her hate him.  Even if all of the anger from the last two years was not hers alone, he had no way of knowing how much of it was fake and how much was true.

     "Winston," Rain braced herself.  This was something she felt she needed to say.  "Yesterday... I'm sorry."  Her throat closed up.  She really didn't like this feeling.  However, she was relieved she said the words, even if they weren't many.

     Winston froze in shock.  His expression did not change, but his muscles tensed.  He never expected that Rain would apologize.  She was a female, a proud one at that, and it was rare for females to ever admit their mistakes.

     Regaining his composure, Winston's frown deepened.  The male couldn't understand why Rain was apologizing.  She hadn't don't anything wrong that he was aware of.

      "You haven't done anything wrong," stated Winston.  Rain's facial muscles twitched.  She didn't want to explain to him, but wasn't sure how to convey what she wanted to.

     Winston followed up, "The crystal influenced you.  You were not at fault."  Winston truly did not blame her. He did not believe she had any reason to apologize.

     Third who was listening, carefully approached and added, "Yeah, you don't need to apologize."  Third's gazed shifted downwards.  Rain might not need to apologize, but he owed her an apology.

     With a frustrated huff, Rain tried to express herself.  "I know it was the crystal's fault, but I was..., not strong enough to resist it and not wise enough to realize what was happening."  Rain did not want to admit to anyone that she was weak or wrong, but she knew in her heart that she had messed up.

     Rain had insisted that she could make it on her own to prove a point.  Had she taken mates, they would have noticed the change in her earlier and would have investigated the cause.  Her stubbornness had gotten her into this mess and she dragged these two into it.  Rain was lucky that the crystal did not have an effect on these two, but she hated relying on luck.

     Winston and Third glanced at each other before their gazes fell back on a clearly uncomfortable Rain.  Third knew how prideful his sister was.  For her to be apologizing like this, she must have felt strongly.

     Shifting uncomfortably, Winston did not want to reject her apology any further and nodded in acceptance.  Some of the tension left Rain's body as her posture slackened.  Feeling relieved, Rain was going to talk about her plans, but Third interrupted her.

     "I'm really sorry Rain.  I said you were worse than Curtis.  That's not true.  You are not.  You are much, much better!"  A teary eyed Third insisted.  Before Rain could respond, Third continued, "You are much nicer, prettier, and smarter than Curtis.  The ugly, dead crystal was the one who was worse than Curtis."

     Before the talkative leopard could say anything else, Rain grabbed his cheeks and pulled them outwards.   Third's oncoming words were garbled and Rain waited for him to quiet down.  She had been hurt by Third's words yesterday, but she didn't hold a grudge against him.

     Rain looked into her brother's eyes and said, "It's okay Third.  I understand.  I accept your apology."  Hoping that would be the end of this session of apologies and feelings, Rain let go of Third's cheeks.

     Unfortunately for Rain, the leopard was not done. Wrapping his arms around Rain, sniffing Third promised, "I won't say something like that again.  I'll..."  Before Rain could smack him away, a certain tiger yanked him away.

     Winston felt awkward during the siblings' apologies.  He was hoping for a conclusion soon so they could discuss Rain's future plans.  He wasn't planning to intervene, but Third had wrapped Rain in an embrace.  Without further thought, Winston pulled away the brainless leopard.

     "Go put on a fur," ordered Winston.  Sniffling, Third went to do as he was told.  "Thanks," Rain said, before stealing herself for conversation.

     A startled Winston watched Rain intently.  He had not expected a thank you from her.  She wasn't one to hand out words of gratitude or apology.  It was at that moment, that Winston realized how shaken Rain was from this ordeal.  He resolved, again, his will to help her and protect her.