13. Down The Rabbit Hole

The rabbits were frightened by the leopards actions.  They believed he may have gone mad.  Tightening his guard against the "rootless beast," the rabbit elder prepared to shift.

     Winston was loosing his patience.  He released a slight amount of his beast pressure causing the rabbits to freeze.  "This snake is no feral and she is female.  We have not taken any of your females," growled Winston.

     Regaining his voice, the rabbit elder squeaked out, "Females can't shift."  Winston was honestly surprised by the rabbit elder's courage.  Most prey could not overcome their fear of predators enough to defy them.

     Grumpy and tired of this nonsense, Rain approached the rabbit beasts.  Winston stiffened before forcefully relaxing his muscles.  Rain was more than capable enough to handle the rabbits, but it was hard for him to suppress his instincts.

     Dark red irises met trembling, medium brown ones.  "I can shift.  Are your eyes as useless as your nose?"  Rain insulted the elder, daring him to do something stupid.

     The rabbit elder shrank under Rain's glare.  Gulping, his nose twitched.  His eyes were going to confirm what his nose was telling him, but a large body of muscles stepped in between the two.  Winston had a scary look in his eyes and the rabbit decided to trust his nose.

     Suppressing the urge to roll her eyes, Rain wished she brought a piece of her last shed with her.  She wanted to avoid the unnecessary posturing.  "I-indeed.  P-please forgive me Tiger King, for doubting your words.  The stories of wisdom passed down through our clan never mentioned transforming females," the rabbit elder informed them as he collected his wits.

      "One of our own reported an injury," added the elder.  Addressing the other two rabbits, "Where is the rabbit who reported the injured female?"  The elder questioned the rabbits present.

     The two shaking rabbits looked back and forth between each other.  One stepped forward.  "I-I was the sentry clan leader.  I also heard the rabbit's report, even though it was incomplete.  I have not seen or smelt the rabbit in question," reported the rabbit male.

     Turning towards the trio, the rabbit elder fidgeted before posing his next question.  "Have you seen the rabbit beast who was around your location at the time of arrival?  He would have made some thumping noise with his back leg."  The elder was scared of the answer.  He didn't think the Tiger King would resort to eating his people, as food was still plentiful, but he couldn't be sure.

     Unaware of the elder's thoughts, Rain glared at her brother.  This whole confrontation would have ended so much sooner, if not for her brother fooling around.  There had been no rabbit and now they had to explain that to this elder.

     Rain had grown sick of the back and forth and so she threw her brother to the wolves (rabbits).  Having explained the origin of the misunderstanding, the rabbits let the three beasts into their tunnels.  They guided a peeved snake, a quiet tiger, and a guilty looking leopard to an empty burrow.

     The rabbits provided Rain with a fur to cover herself before taking the predators down the rabbit hole.  The rabbit elder felt much better after Rain's explanation.  He did develop a conspiracy theory about the predators learning their coded messages, but decided his aging heart couldn't take the extra worry.

     Having settled down for the night, Rain slept.  Winston and a wronged looking Third inspected the black hole.  If not for the bits of glowing moss growing along the walls, they would not be able to see.  Third looked enviously at the sleeping Rain.  He couldn't understand how she could rest so comfortably several beast lengths below ground.  Getting comfortable, Third did his best to sleep.

     Rain woke up with Third lightly snoring by her side and Winston nowhere to be seen.  She had slept better than she expected considering she was in unknown territory.  She stretched her body and woke Third with the motion.

     The large leopard yawned and stared blearily at his dark surroundings.  He could not tell the time of day since it was so dark.  His stomach rumbling, Third was going to hunt before they set off.  He started to leave the burrow, but immediately got lost.  Unlike the burrow they slept in, there was almost no glowing moss in the tunnels.

     Sniffing the air Third sneezed dramatically.  All he could smell was Rabbit and dirt.  Whining, the leopard turned in Rain's direction.  Understanding his dilemma having tasted the air herself, Rain decided to lead the way.  She was used to moving around with no light thanks to the use of her crevice.

     She flattened her tail on the dirt and felt for vibrations.  Having detected movement, she made her way forward.  After tracking down a rabbit beastman, she had it lead them to Winston.  The rabbit brought them to a large community area.  The lighting there was far better than the burrow they stayed in.

     There were nine other beasts present.  Having completed his duty, the rabbit guide left quickly.  The elder they met yesterday was discussing something with Winston.  Noticing the duo approaching, Winston ended the conversation.

     "I have hunted.  I left the prey aboveground," Winston told the two.  After saying his piece, Winston and the rabbit elder took them above ground.  Third couldn't wait to leave.  Rain was a bit curious about the structure of the burrows, but decided it was more important to get to their destination.

     Aboveground, Winston started barbecuing some meat.  Rain did not need to eat cooked meat, but she appreciated the various flavors that seasoning could add.  She did not like to handle fire, however, so she rarely cooked for herself.

     Winston passed meat to the two, before eating the lesser desired pieces.  Rain noticed, but did not say anything.  Third obliviously and happily munched on the free meal.  After finishing the meal, the rabbit elder wished them an energetic farewell.