16. Not All Lightbulbs Are Bright

Rain told Winston and Third of her current goals.  Winston naturally insisted, with few words, on finding the perfect location for her to build a den.  On the second day of searching, they found a suitable tree to make into a den.  Rain confirmed that there was no neighbor too close for her liking and gave the okay.

     Despite Rain's initial displeasure, both males insisted on helping her build the den.  Third was nearly useless, but Winston was a great carpenter. It did not take long to hollow out the tree and create different rooms.  The basic structure was completed before the day was over.

     The tree house had five levels.  The first floor was the largest and contained the kitchen area. The second floor was left empty, the intended use was left unspoken.  The third floor would be a bathroom.  The fourth floor would be the main bedroom. The fifth floor was to be used as storage.

     Rain was satisfied with her new home.  It may not be permanent, but she was glad to have it for now.  The smell of sap and sawdust filled the air and Rain enjoyed it.  Now that she had a place to live, she could begin filling it with resources.

     Rain sadly recalled her previous den.  She hadn't bothered to add much to it since it was small and she wasn't panning on having a family there.  Here though, she had to consider that when choosing a den.  Her mood soured thinking of her future family.  She hoped that her mental state would improve soon, she needed to move on with her life.

     Winston had wanted her to stay in the castle until her den was completed and fully furnished. Rain stubbornly declined until Third insisted they go back.  Third mentioned how curious individuals may come around to check to see who their new neighbor was.  That and he wanted to talk to her since she hadn't been in the mood lately.

     Feeling unimpassioned, Rain eventually gave in to the leopard.  Third would badger her relentlessly once he decided on something.  She loved him, but her brother could be truly annoying.  Sighing, Rain trudged back to the stone castle.

     Her and Third talked about various things that night.  No topic was especially important.  They were just enjoying each other's company.  Rain stared at the beautiful moons, listening to Third talk about his last adventure with their brother Cody.

     Third convinced Cody to to pluck the feathers off wild peacocks.  After receiving minor wounds from some very angry birds, the two used the feathers to trick an elderly peacock beastman into thinking that he was going bald.

     Rain chuckled at his story.  Third tended to get himself into trouble when he was bored.  "He would still be thinking that he was balding if Winston hadn't snitched on us."  Third pouted while recalling the incident.

     Rain actually felt bad for Winston.  "You are not a cub anymore, but you still cause such trouble for Winston."  She half-heartedly reprimanded him.  Rain didn't really care about his pranks so long as she wasn't the target.

     "But it's so boring Rain.  There is almost nothing to do when your not around here.  Winston doesn't take me on colossal hunts anymore either.  Oh!  We should go hunting together.  Lets go tomorrow."   Third's mood completely changed direction and Rain couldn't help a small smile.  How her brother could swing from one topic to another so quickly still boggled her mind.  Thankfully, Rain was mostly used to his mentality so she can't say she was surprised.

     Rain thought about it before answering him.   "If it's so boring you can train some more.  Winston still doesn't trust you after you made a mess out of that one colossal hunt.  You would have to earn his trust back. We can hunt tomorrow."  She wanted to stock her den anyway.

     "It was only one time.  I was trying to drop the egg on one of the colossus.  I wanted to see if they would attack each other.  I didn't know the egg was that fragile.  It should have been stronger since it was a colossal egg, right?"  Third quickly defended himself.

     Rain faced Third, staring into his innocent eyes.  "And that is why Winston won't let you hunt.  You are not sorry and he's worried you'll try something stupid again."  Rain didn't want to bring her brother down, but he sometimes had a hard time comprehending logic.

     Undeterred, Third insisted, "But, what if it worked?  I can just make sure the egg smashes onto a colossal instead of me.  Don't you think it's a good idea Rain?  You always said I had unique ideas."

     "Unique is not the same as good Third.  Your idea could be worth trying, but you have to plan better.  Running at a colossus with the egg in your hands is completely reckless and bound to fail.  You should have had a flyer carry it up and drop the egg from above.  It would have been far less risky," countered Rain.

     Third's ears drooped, a pout evident on his face.  "See. It wasn't necessarily stupid," said a deflating Third.  Third started to mutter incoherently about hawks.  Rain rolled her eyes.  Her brother was not easily discouraged and she was sure he would try again.  At least the next attempt won't require Winston to save his rear from a heard of very angry colossus.  She could hope for Third's sake anyway.

     Rain went back to moon gazing as Third mulled over his grand plan.  She wondered if he already forgot about hunting tomorrow.  'No, probably not'.  Knowing her brother, his memory loss is temporary and he will bug her again shortly.  Realizing just how late it was, Rain's eyelids began falling.  She laid her head in her arms that rested on the wide, stone windowsill and comfortably adjusted her lower half.  Not even Third's ceaseless chatter could keep her awake now.

     Third tried to ask Rain about their hunting plans, but found she was unresponsive.  Having an idea, he tried to quietly sneak up on Rain.  He had gotten good at sneaking thanks to these attempts of catching Rain and his other siblings off guard.  Once he reached right behind Rain's sleeping form, Third hesitated.  He wondered if he should poke her sides.  Or maybe he should blow on her ears.  He knew how much she hated that.  He would love to shout right next to her and spook her, but he might get beat up by the castle guards again so he won't.

     With a mischievous grin, Third decided that he would do both.  He moved in an instant, blowing air and spit from his mouth onto her ear and assaulting Rain's sides.  "Hiss!"  Rain sensed his movement, wrapped her tail around Third instantly and tossed him out the window.

     "Gross!"  An aggravated Rain, hissed out her frustrations.  She had managed to defend against his poking attack, but not his spit.  Grabbing a close fur, Rain wiped off Third's saliva from the side of her face and neck.  She would have to wash her hair as well.  Rain grabbed the bowl of water and tended to her hair.

     Angry that her rest was interrupted, Rain plotted her revenge.  How she would enact retribution would depend on the circumstances of the hunt, but she was confident in her ability to adapt.  With an evil smile, she settled down in her furs, eager for their hunting trip tomorrow.