24. Pep Talks

Harvey tended to Rain diligently. Rain's injuries healed quickly, but Harvey visited daily in an attempt to heal her mind.  Winston and Third frequently visited Rain.  Although Third didn't show up in front of her.  He was feeling ashamed of himself for failing to protect his sister.

     Brice remained around, bringing medicine and prey as a sort of atonement.  Winston let him since Brice was being useful, but never allowed him to intrude in Rain's den.  Only Winston knew of Damon's current state, but didn't share with the others.  When Winston found the two brawling beasts, he immediately ordered Third to return.

     Winston may have been furious, but he was able to retain some rationality.  He didn't fail to notice that Third had no critical wounds, only some bruises and that Damon had sustained several wounds.  Still, those observations did not stop Winston from beating the life out of Damon.

     Damon refused to strike at Winston, but Winston showed little mercy.  Only after the majority of Damon's bones were broken did Winston stop.  Damon's pained and shallow breathes were the only indicator that he was still alive and Winston left him next to the lake like that.

     The following day, Winston had some tigers drag Damon back to the city.  Once he heard Damon's side of the story, he would let Rain decide his fate.  Winston could not think of sparing him at this time, but held himself back.

     Winston checked on Rain several times a day.  He, Third, and Harvey would help prepare the prey that Brice would bring for Rain.  She refused to eat in front of them, so they were forced to leave her alone with the food.  They were all relieved when they would find the bowls empty the next morning.

     Winston and Harvey were preparing food for Rain around the fire when Winston spoke up.  "Harvey, can we do nothing for Rain?"

     Harvey looked briefly at Winston before drawing his gaze back to the task at hand.  "We can't force her to do anything.  If she won't talk to us, then we have to do our best to learn why she is behaving this way.  We know what happened to her.  From what you have told me of her past, she is used to fighting."

     Harvey continued, "From what Third has said, it seems likely that Rain is depressed due to experiencing a complete loss.  She is very prideful and likely took her defeat hard.  She is eating and drinking, so we do not need to worry much over her physical health.  We just need to take it slow and try to encourage her.  I think you and Third would be the best support as you two are close to her."

     Winston agreed with Harvey.   He would try to talk to her again and convince Third to as well.  Winston slowly approached Rain and announced his presence.  Not once in the last week has she looked him in the eye.  He was beginning to miss her pointless challenges and provocations.

     "Rain, everyone loses at some point."   Rain's breath hitched and he knew she was listening.  "There will always be beasts who are stronger than yourself.  You survived and you can grow stronger."   Winston really did not want to encourage her to fight anymore, but felt like he was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

     After receiving no response from Rain, the two sat in awkward silence.  Winston thought about what he could say.  Third and Harvey believed Rain respected him a great deal.  He was conflicted when he heard that.  He had always thought that Rain disliked him.  What could he say to her now?

     "Years ago, during the war between this city and the City of Flames, I was defeated and nearly lost my life."  Rain shook and trembled at his words.  Satisfied that he got a reaction, Winston continued.

     "I had killed the reigning scorpion king who ruled the City of Flames.  He was also a five striped beast.  I had some resistance to his venom, having fought many scorpions before him.  I managed to defeat him and defend the city due to the help of a hawk beast named Muir who was living in the city of flames."

     Winston could feel Rain's focus.  "I had sustained some injuries during that time and so did Muir.   After the battle ended, we drove away the scorpions and rootless beasts that had invaded.   We thought the battle was over.  We didn't know that the former scorpion king was still alive and sought retribution for his son's death."

     "Muir also had five stripes, but he was undergoing treatment for his broken wing.  We were both recovering from the wounds received in the previous battle and were caught off guard.  The former scorpion king was more experienced and stronger than I was.  I received the wound on my shoulder from the former scorpion king.  Even now, I do not have much feeling in my arm.  Had Muir not sacrificed himself, we would have both died that day.  As it was, the city lost half of its males and one third of its females."

     "That day, I may have survived and won the war, but I failed as ruler and as a male.  However, I still had a responsibility to fulfill.  I needed to raise and protect what was left of the city.  No matter how shameful it was, I sat back on the throne and did what was required of me."

     "Rain, you do not have any such responsibilities.  You don't have to raise your head back up if you do not wish to.  I will make sure you are cared for regardless of your choice.  But will you be satisfied with that?"

     After saying his piece, Winston left Rain to mull over what he said.  Winston sought out a reluctant Third and convinced him to visit Rain.

     Third eyed his sister who was still curled up in the same spot.  He knew Rain must have left to do her business, but always returned to the same position.  For once, Third could not think of something to say.  He fidgeted nervously for several minutes.  Eventually, words came to him.

     "Umm.  Rain, I'm sorry.  I didn't do anything to help.  Please don't worry about what Damon said.  No matter what any other beast says, I still think you are strong.  If you don't think it's enough, you can get stronger.  I can help you if you want.  I like hunting with you."  Third thought about it and added, "If you don't want to get stronger, that's fine too.  I'll support whatever decisions you make.  I really want you to be happy again."

     Having run out of words, Third eventually bid his goodbyes dejectedly.  Harvey passed by Third, carrying some food and water.  He set the stone bowels in front of Rain, but didn't leave.

     "Rain, I don't know you well and you don't know me."  Harvey's tail swung a nervously as he spoke.  "But those two really care about you.  Even the hawk outside is worrying.  I don't know what eats at you, but if you want someone to listen to you, I'll be here.  I'm sure Winston and Third would also say the same."

     Harvey spoke gently and wished Rain a good night.  Rain's coils moved slightly, a garnet colored eye poked out between crimson coils.  Harvey hesitated for a second before stepping out under the moons.  His golden, long hair shined briefly before he shifted.

     Harvey scaled down the outside of the tree nimbly in his leopard form.  He cleaned up the fire place and ate some of the offal left over while worrying over his patient's health.  He genuinely hoped, that their persistence would pay off.