34. Spiders Want Friends Too

So today, I am trying a slightly different format.  Instead of two spaces after each period, I'll leave it at one.  Please let me know if this causes a noticeable difference in your reading experience.  I can always go back to double spaces.  Enjoy.

     Rain rushed home, but Harvey was not there. Third dropped off the two sacks of rice and sniffed around. Rain did the same, but also tried to feel through their bond. She could tell he was unharmed and left in the direction it told her. No other scents were around her den, but she remained cautious.

     Rain found a concerned Harvey who was on his way back home. He had felt her anxiety through the bond and came to her. Rain slithered around him repeatedly while checking for any injuries. She didn't smell any, but wouldn't be able to if they were older than a few days and already healed.

     Harvey blushed at the attention and also gave his mate a once over. Seeing no problems other than a noticeable fatigue, Harvey questioned her. "Rain, what has you so anxious?"

     "The ape king came to the city. Were you not aware?" Rain questioned back. She didn't mean to sound accusingly so she tried to soften the blow. "We just got back and Winston was heading to the castle."

     Having confirmed his mate's safety, he began assessing Third's injuries. He spoke while working. "I am aware. I am sure Winston can handle it." He glanced at his mate who didn't seemed convinced and returned to his task. "The ape king has won over some beasts, but a lot of beast's in this city are survivors from The City of Beasts. They won't easily trust him even if they feel indebted to him."

     Rain wasn't entirely convinced and Harvey could feel it through the bond. "There will be some who take his side initially, but not if that means standing against the tiger king. I treated various beasts over the last few days and even met with the ape king himself. Do you want to go home and talk about it?"

     "Okay." Rain wanted to get to the castle as soon as possible, but she realized how unreasonable that was. Harvey was making solid points and Winston was indeed very capable. If she was going to have to fight the fallen king, she would need more energy.

     The group went home and Harvey treated both Brice and Third. Brice's wounds were scratches at best, but Third's would take two days to fully heal. Rain only had sore muscles, but no wounds. Rain told Harvey about the scorpion attack and their theory of the ape king's involvement. It seemed a little too convenient and the behavior of the scorpions was odd.

     Rain called in Brice. She usually didn't allow him in her den, but he has proven to be a trustworthy addition so far. He seemed to hesitate, but accepted the invitation.

     Rain wanted to discuss their plans in the case that the ape king stirred up trouble. "I will naturally support Winston should the ape king be foolish enough to pick a fight. I do want to hear all of your opinions." Rain was tempted to simply assert herself and end it there. She wouldn't allow herself too. Rain wanted to see if there was anything she was missing and give the chance for her family to speak up.

     Third was the first to speak. "Of course I will too. Even if you don't, I would stay and fight with Winston." He always liked Winston, even if he was intimidated by him.

     "It won't necessarily turn into a fight Third." Rain had to remind him. She didn't want to discourage her brother, but this could turn into a war. She didn't want him to be reckless and get himself killed.

     Harvey was the next to speak. "I will support you choice, but I want to avoid fighting if possible. A lot of lives will be lost and I don't want to witness that again." It was a rare for Harvey to speak against Rain, but he felt very strongly towards war and the needless loss of life. He hoped Rain wouldn't be too upset with him.