6. Angry Snek

Rain shifted her gaze from her brother to the tiger. Her happy expression changing to a light frown.  Third had just finished updating her on her other two half-siblings.  She felt indifferently towards her other brothers, but knew Third cared.  She had listened all about how Arthur, the oldest of the three, was still on his mission to earn his additional stripes.  Third had confidence that his brother would succeed despite no one hearing from the beast for the last year.  The second oldest leopard, Cody, had found a mate and settled down.

     Normally, she would have appreciated the tiger king's effort not to order her around.  This time, she was not pleased to sense the underlying command.  Without a word she grabbed a bit of her old shed and tied it messily around her top.  It wasn't going to remain there long, so she wasn't willing to put in any effort.

     She glanced back at the tiger, arching her brow as if to ask, 'happy now?'  Unfortunately for them both, he looked anything but.  Seeing the familiar deep scowl and the resolution in his eyes, she knew what was coming.  They were going to have the same exact argument that they inevitably end up having, every time they meet.

     "No Winston.  I don't want to fight with you," uttered Rain.  She normally waited until he spoke first. He is the strongest male in this space and she wanted to respect that.  This time, her building irritation wouldn't let her yield.  Her temper already flaring at the thought of handing over her authority to a male, while in her territory.

     Winston's light grey eyes darkened.  He couldn't let it go, not something this important.  "Rain, you are intelligent, more so than me or your father.  You should understand the risks better than any other beast, but you constantly place yourself in danger," started Winston.

     Rain could feel her growing ire at the tiger's words, but tried to bury it.  "You have proven your strength.  How long will you continue living like this?" Questioned Winston.

     Rain coldly stared at the tiger.  "Winston.  This is my choice.  I have lived on my own for the last two years.  I should have proven that I do not require the protection of males.  I will continue until I am satisfied," declared Rain.

     Expecting that answer, Winston clenched his jaw.  "Rain.  There is always someone stronger and smarter out there.  What if you met a four-striped beast?  Are you confident that you could escape?  If you can't, will you accept death?"  Winston ground out those last words with difficulty.  He did not want to consider her death as a possibility, but knew that life was not so kind to males or lone females.

     Rain replied through clenched teeth, "I will avoid death by taking mates then?  Don't fool yourself Winston.  You know as well as I do that females can still die or be taken by ferals despite the presence of their males."

     Winston let a growl slip.  He knew that this argument would have no conclusion.  They've been back and forth with this for the last two years.  "So you want to worsen your chances? Do you find it thrilling to place yourself in danger?"

     Snap.  Rain could feel her barely held control disappearing fast.  "So your solution, is having me find males, to keep me from killing myself?  Then what Winston?  Push out litter after litter of offspring?  I would rather roll over and flash my belly to a group of colossus, than be reduced to a breeding bunny, who's worth is determined by the amount of brood she can lay!"  Unable to stop herself, she continued, "Would that make you feel better Winston?  Knowing that I was safe and fulfilling my role as a female!"  She spit those last words out with such scorn, that even Winston could not reply immediately.

     A very nervous leopard glanced back and forth between the two.  He was very familiar with this argument, as it happens every time these two meet.  Today it was different.  Rain's words were nastier and sharper.  Rain usually controled her temper better, and when she can't take it anymore, she leaves or stops responding.  He could feel her rage rolling off of her and he knew Winston could feel it too.  Something was off about her and it deeply concerned him.

     Winston's expression did not change, but inside, he had recoiled at her words.  He knew she was not keen on taking males, but did not realize how much the concept upset her.  A mess of emotions balled in his stomach.  He had taken care of Rain and her sister for years, yet failed to notice these changes in her.  Disappointment and self-loathing tried to take hold of him, but he pushed it away.  There was something important he needed to do.

     Winston knew something was wrong with her and it wasn't just because she was close to shedding.  He wanted to question her, more concerned than angry.  She always held herself back when they argued and he, sensing her breaking point, would always back off knowing they would get nowhere.  Her scent had been strange since they had arrived and he needed to find out why.  Snapping the tiger out of his thoughts, was a hostile and raspy voice filled with loathing.

     "Cat beast stole your tongue Winston?  I'm so happy you didn't bring my sister into this like you had last time.  I'm so grateful for that," venomous words of fake gratitude flew from her lips. She was no longer in control.  All she could see was red and she wanted to taste blood.  "Do you really think I will take any of those males as mates?  You seem to have forgotten what happened with the first and only mate I ever took. Should I remind you?"  Rain questioned with acid evident in her tone.

     At that, Winston and Third both flinched, there expressions twisted with anger and regret.  "He said he was happy to have a strong mate.  He could rest assured that I would stay safe when he wasn't around.  Yet, after we mated, he insisted I not leave the den and refused to let me hunt with him."  She gagged at the memory.  "When he found I wouldn't listen to him, he forcibly confined me, so that I would 'stay safe."

     Third's face paled entirely, remembering his sister covered in bruises and cuts.  Winston's expression was unreadable, eyes full of storm clouds.  How could he get her to stop without harming her?

     "I'm sure you remember the next part well Winston.  I am quite curious, what did it feel like?   Being a female, I will never know what its like to tear another's mate into pieces.  Right?"   Rain prodded Winston with hurtful words, daring him to get angry.  She wanted to fight.  Her tail lashed on the ground expressing her anger.

     Winston's expression did not change, but Third's did.  His healthy, wheat-colored face had gone sickly pale.  He looked at the older beastmen for guidance.  He, too, did not want to hurt his sister, but this had to stop. Winston would not look at him, his eyes still glued to Rain's.  Unable to take it any longer, he said the worst thing he could think of.