28. K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Rain watched the exaggerated reactions of the beasts around her with embarrassment.  Was what she asked that strange?  She was never someone who liked to beat around the bush.  She would rather be direct and receive a clear answer in return.

     Rain looked down at her most recent shed that was draped in her arms.  She wasn't sure if Harvey would want it, but brought it out anyway.  Her ancestors attracted mates by leaving their shed skin somewhere viewable.  If a female took interest in their shed, they would court them.  Her father had used that method.

     Rain obviously had different circumstances and thought it would be weird for her to leave her shed skin in front of Harvey randomly.  She would present it to him if he accepted her proposal.  She quietly watched the fallen leopard manage to catch himself and limberly pull himself up the branch he toppled off of.  Rain started to feel nervous when he didn't respond.

     Rain didn't expect to be rejected, but maybe Harvey wasn't willing.  She had lost to Damon, but was still stronger than other females.  She was considered a beauty, but maybe he didn't like that she was cold-blooded.  She started to worry and held her breath when Harvey finally spoke.

     "O-of course.  But are you sure?  I'm weak.  Weaker than you."  Harvey was both ecstatic and scared.  No female had ever shown interest in him.  He was well past his prime and only had one stipe.  He was often told he acted like prey beasts and was sneered at by females.  He expected to remain unmated for the rest of his life.

     "I'm sure."  Rain did not elaborate on her decision.  She was glad Harvey was weaker than her.   His temperament was also to her liking.  She felt that he would never try to limit her freedoms and if he did change, he was weak enough for her to overpower him.  As a doctor he could keep her and their future cubs healthy.  He also treated her kindly and Rain would be lying if she said she wasn't slightly touched by his care.

     No matter how Rain thought about it, Harvey was a perfect choice for her.  She extended her shed skin towards Harvey, feeling nervous again.  Harvey watched Rain with a wide-eyed and stunned expression.

     Harvey still hadn't grasped what just happened and stood star-struck while processing what Rain had said.  He absentmindedly received what Rain had given him, but didn't comprehend what it could mean.

     Once Harvey took the weight off of her hands, Rain felt a genuine smile tug at her lips.  She felt even better when Harvey's face turned bright red.  She found his reaction amusing and endearing.  For the first time in a while, Rain felt like everything was going to be okay.

      Meanwhile, Winston was the first to recover.  He resumed the task at hand.  He was initially upset with Rain's decision.  Harvey was not a strong beast and was not much younger than himself.  His ability to protect her would be limited.  He thought about it some more, and determined that Rain had made a good choice.  Having a doctor by Rain's side put him at ease and Harvey was one on the best.

     Brice recovered and alighted the tree he dropped from.  He felt embarrassed.  He had never heard of a hawk falling out of a tree before.  Burying his feelings of shame, he hoped that the beasts present would quickly forget.  He wasn't sure how to feel about Rain choosing the doctor as a mate.  He didn't have a right to judge or interfere.  He would have to be satisfied with the position of 'guardian' if Rain would have him.

     Third sat up from his face plant, mouth hanging open for a good while.  He didn't expect that from his sister.  Well, she had always been direct and blunt, but he thought he had more time.  He was going to be the awesome brother who found the perfect mate for his sister.  She was going to thank him and praise him.  Now his plans were ruined.

     Oblivious to the thoughts of the other beasts present, Rain observed her soon-to-be mate.  Since Harvey had agreed, she didn't see any reason to hesitate and slowly approached him.

     Harvey gulped, feeling that Rain's attitude had shifted.  He resisted the urge to retreat, feeling like he was cornered prey.  Harvey's bright red face darkened even more as he grasped what was about to happen.  He was conscious of the beasts who were still around and knew that Rain was aware of their proximity.  As Rain invaded his personal space, Harvey realized that she didn't care.

     Rain wrapped her coils around Harvey and brought him into her den.  She consulted the Legacy and followed her instincts.  This may have not been her first time, but she wanted to do it better than before.  She ignored Harvey's few protests, undoubtedly uncomfortable with being carried off like a female.

     Rain eyed the thin skin at Harvey's throat before flicking her tongue out for a taste.  After ascertaining that Harvey's responding shiver was one of pleasure and not protest, she bit and sucked at the tender area carefully so as to not inject any venom.

     On the outside of the den, Third covered his ears.  He tried his best to repel the sounds of love-making, but failed miserably.  Why did his sister have to do that now?  Resisting the urge to gag, Third shifted and ran away.  He would hunt and hope they finished before he returned.

     Brice didn't try to block out the sounds he was hearing, but did put some distance between him and the den.  He figured now was the perfect time for a nice flight.  Brice took to the air and did a perimeter check around Rain's den before ascending higher.

     Winston was left to his own company, subjected to the moans and gasps coming from the tree hole.  To his credit, he managed to keep a blank expression.  Only his twitching tail and over-boiling water betrayed his emotions.  Just because he accepted the situation didn't mean he felt comfortable listening to it.

     Winston left to replenish the water that he lost.  He ran hard and scouted the area around Rain's den.  He knew that Brice had already done so, but felt like doing it again anyway.  He was careful not to hard boil the water longer than necessary and constantly warmed it back up after it cooled.  Winston attempted to distract himself by keeping busy.  He didn't know if Rain wanted a garden or a fence, but now she had both.