15. Aggressive Meditation

Rain spent the next few days resting and hunting.  Winston or Third always accompanied her when she went out.  She snapped when Winston had grabbed her prey on one occasion.  She knew he wasn't trying to steal it, but hated that he was trying to "protect" her.  She didn't need to be overly coddled.

     Third was far more accommodating to Rain's personality.  He trailed far enough behind her, and never interfered.  She knew he would if things got dicey, but was grateful for his compliance.  She had noticed a group of beasts who had followed her and Third, but tried her best to pretend they didn't exist.  She figured Winston was responsible for that.

     Rain was careful not to take in too much food during her hunt.  If her meals were too large she would be sluggish and sleepy.  She was going to wait until the last day before her shed to eat big.  It would be more uncomfortable for her, but she didn't want to come out of her shedding period overly hungry.

     Rain soaked everyday, several times a day, in the river to make her shed easier.  She didn't have that kind of leisure over the last two years.  Her shed would come out in patches instead of one whole piece.

     Rain stayed in her beast form while moving through the city.  Less suitors would approach her that way.  She wasn't ready to consider any males yet and wanted to stay away from them until the influence of the black crystal was gone.

     Third and Winston would share meals with her.  Third would constantly be chatting with Rain about one topic or another.  She had wanted to be more involved, but didn't feel like socializing.  She mostly just nodded or shook her head, rarely adding input.  A few times she had to throw Third out.  She treasured him, but sometimes he just needed to shut up.

     Eight days after arriving in the city, Rain shed.  It was over quicker than usual and she was grateful.  Finally feeling refreshed, Rain stretched her body lazily.  She had a perfect, clean shed.  All that soaking in the river paid off.

     Rain wasn't necessarily opposed to wearing furs, but her own shed skin was far more comfortable.  The Legacy shows that shed skin is to be given to her mate, but she wasn't sure that rule applied to her.  She would save it for now, and decide what to do with it later.

     Rain hunkered down and decided to plan for the near future.   It was going to be the driest part of the year soon.  Winston had made precautions for drought a long time ago.  He had his clan dig out the once small pond and turned it into a small lake.  A merfolk had dug it deeper.

     A season after her and her sister came to the city, one of the worst droughts began.  After sitting down and discussing it, the idea of wells came about thanks to an off comment Third had made about sucking on some mud he dug up.  Eventually, deep and narrow wells were dug all over the city to combat the dry season.

     After the dry season passes, the weather will cool down rapidly.  Rain needed to establish a den before it got too cold.  She would become far less active during the colder weather, and she would be more vulnerable.  She wouldn't have to worry as much if she had a mate or two to look after her.

     An uncomfortable anger rose inside Rain.  It seems she still wasn't able to stomach the thought of taking mates. Suppressing her ire, she decided to go out for some hunting and exercise.  She hoped it would help get rid of her unsettling feelings before planning any more.

     Leaving the castle, Rain did not hide her irritation when three tigers followed her.  "Don't follow me."  She hissed out the order.

     The largest one of the three shifted and said, "The Tiger King has ordered us to follow and protect you.  He has instructed us to not interfere with your hunting."  The reddish-orange haired tiger did not flinch at Rain's cold glare.

     Rain did not need the extra aggravation right now.  She eyed the tigers and assessed their strength.  The one still in his mating form had three black stripes on his pectorals and the other two tigers were probably double striped from what she could sense.

     Scowling, Rain hissed in agitation.  She was confident in outrunning the two stripes, but loosing the three stripe was going to be far more difficult.  Without another word, she shifted and left the city, the three tigers remained a respectable distance behind her.

     Rain had tried unsuccessfully to lose them during her hunt.  She scented the air and looked up.  Sure enough, a hawk was circling high above the trees.  Having spent most of her energy trying to shake her unwanted "protectors," she decided to focus on her hunt.  After catching and eating a young wild goat, Rain returned home while doing her best to ignore the tigers.

     Rain laid in her nest of furs, partially shifted, completely unsatisfied.  She was still agitated and had accomplished very little of what she had wanted to do today.  Rain propped her hands under her chin, her elbows on her coils.  It was too early to sleep and she didn't want to go on another outing.

     Rain mulled over some ideas in her head, trying not to touch the topic of mates.  If she was unable to travel far to find a den, she could make one in the city outskirts.  She wanted her own space far enough away that she couldn't hear her neighbors mating.  She also didn't want to consider staying in the city since she would eventually run into her sister.

     Thinking of her sister, Rain got upset all over again.  She didn't hate her, she just had no idea how to deal with her now.  She got up from her position and started pacing the room.  The issue with her sister could wait until later.

     She didn't have any crystals to pay for a den.  She knew Winston did not require females to pay for their dens, but she wouldn't be able to buy furnishings for her den.  She could hunt furs and build furniture herself, but that would take a while since she is the sole member of her family.

     Thrashing her tail back and forth, Rain was not too thrilled.  It seemed like she'd keep circling back to the topic of mates.  It was inevitable that she would have to address this concern, but it was more of a challenge than she thought.  Thinking of that damnable crystal and the trouble it has caused her, Rain wanted to put the crystal back together so she can smash it all over again.

     Taking deep breaths to try to calm herself, Rain attempted to stabilize her emotions.  She focused solely on breathing in and out.  After some time her heartbeat returned to normal and she was able to think clearly.

     Firstly, Rain needed to make a choice, then she needed to secure resources, and finally she needed to find mates.  Thinking the last bit nearly made her have to start breathing deeply again.  If she couldn't make herself consider taking mates, then she would have to swallow her pride and ask Winston or Third for help.  She would rather choke.

     Rain looked out the sole window in the room.  The absolute worst case scenario for her, was staying in the castle until the cold season passes.  Winston would not have a problem with that, but she did.  She was not a cub anymore and she was relying too heavily on Winston and Third.

     Third would eventually find his own mate.  Rain couldn't expect him to return to her side forever.  Feeling glum, Rain wished for his happiness, but dreaded the eventual parting.  With a sigh, Rain settled on finding a den within the city, but as far from others as she could be.