18. Snakes Don't Need Friends

The two beasts Rain chose shifted into their mating forms.  Neither one rushed to cover themselves and Rain was not pleased.  She never used to care, but now she was almost disgusted.  Sure the male reproductive organ was not pretty, but she never felt especially negatively about it.  Was it influence from the crystal or her own experience with her now dead spouse?

     Quelling her negative emotions, Rain wiped her expression clean.  She worried her feelings would show on her face.  She wondered how Winston could keep a stoic expression at all times. While she was lost in thought, Winston had tossed two furs to the males.  Shaking the unnecessary concerns from her head, Rain concentrated her attention on the two beasts in front of her.

     The tiger male had shoulder length, wavy, and reddish-orange hair.  His eyes had slitted pupils and irises that were burnt orange in color.  His tiger ears matched his hair color and twitched periodically on his head.  His skin was heavily tanned and had a few small scars littering his muscled frame.  He stood as tall as Winston, which was more than a full head taller than Rain.  He watched with a somewhat bored expression as Rain looked him over.

     The hawk male was half a head shorter than the two tiger males.  His full, straight, dirty-blond hair fell to the middle of his neck.  Two dark brown stripes were in full view on his stubbled jaw. His light tan, olive skin was bare of scars.  Only his arms were as muscled as the tigers' while the rest of his body was well-toned.  He evaluated Rain with interest, smiling slightly as Rain assessed him.

     None of the beasts present said anything.  Winston and Rain were not the most social beasts and the other tiger did not appear to care enough to speak.  The hawk, unable to stand the awkwardness of the situation, introduced himself.

     "My name is Brice.  I'm a hawk beastman, but I'm sure you could tell.  The quiet tiger next to me is Damon."  When he received no immediate response, Brice lifted his hand to scratch his head.  It was clear that he was a bit uncomfortable dealing with so many antisocial beasts.

     Normally, Rain wouldn't bother to interact with them, but she was impatient and wanted to go before the day was too far gone.  "My name is Rain.  I can shift and protect myself.  Don't interfere with my hunt and I won't make your job any harder than it needs to be."  Rain knew she sounded unpleasant and entitled, but she couldn't find a reason to care.  These beasts would not be in her life long and she wasn't good at being friendly anyway.

     After collecting Third, their party of four set out.  Third and the Brice got along well, chatting as they walked.  Rain had a lot of pent up stress and did not feel like taking her time as the two got to know each other.

     Rain shifted and bolted forward.  Third said something, but she ignored him.  The hawk, Brice, picked up her top and took the other two males' furs before shifting himself.  Two felines and a hawk followed after an impatient snake.

      The distance between the group and the city continued to increase.  Rain had found tracks belonging to a group of carnivorous colossus.  Rain smiled, Winston never let her participate in the hunts and she hadn't run into any over the last two years.  Looks like she would gain good experience today.

      It didn't take Third long to catch up.  The two quickly pursued the colossus pack.  The tracks were deep and fresh.  Colossus were not quiet creatures.  Their movement could shake the ground making it fairly easy to find them.

     A tiger and a hawk silently exchanged looks.  They were not supposed to interfere unless it was absolutely necessary, but they did not expect the prey to be colossus.  The two decided to wait and watch for now.

     Rain did her best to analyze her surroundings.  She would use anything she could to ensure a victorious hunt.  She was interrupted when Third wanted to grab a beehive.  Third loved honey and she liked it as well.  Pulling Third back, Rain shook her head.  Now was not the time for him to be distracted.  With one more glance at the large beehive the two continued on.

      Their best chance was to find a stray colossal who had wondered from the pack.  It's not an unusual occurrence, so the potential was worth betting on.  Soon the two had tracked down a stray who was eating a deer in a meadow.  They could hear the sound of bones crunching and smell the metallic scent of blood from a good distance away.

     Rain and Third usually hunted in one of two ways.  The first required Third to distract the prey while Rain waited for an opportunity to strike.  It was simple, but effective.  The second required Third to act as bait and lure the prey into a disadvantageous position.  Normally, Rain would pull back far enough away for her and Third to discuss details.  Today, however, she was afraid to lose her chance.

     Rain knew that the colossal was no easy prey, even if it was alone and distracted by food.  She thought about the two beasts who tagged along today.  The hawk couldn't be reached, but the tiger wasn't that far behind her.  Perhaps she could use him as bait instead.  It would be difficult to put into practice, but it could work.  Rain recalled the beehive they passed and thought up a plan.

     She had checked their surrounding and made sure the rest of the herd was far enough away before sending Third after it.  Third attempted to surprise the colossal while it was still eating, but failed.  A fight between a leopard and a colossal ensued.  Rain carefully made her way to an area covered in brush and climbed a tree that still had most of its foliage.

     Third had only managed to shallowly wound the creature.  Third spent most of his time avoiding its powerful jaw and while trying to stay on its back.  Rain waited for Third to take notice of her and attempt to lure it her way.  A few moments seemed like forever to Rain. Her adrenaline pumped in anticipation.

     Having noticed Rain's position, Third dodged a bit and jumped on the colossal's head, digging his back claws into one of its eyes as he leaped off.  With a defining roar, an enraged colossal chased after Third.  Rain dropped on the unsuspecting colossal and dug her fangs into the eye Third had damaged.  After unloading her venom, she pulled back quickly.

     Before the colossal could strike her, Third was on its back again targeting its neck.  Third bit a large chunk of flesh leaving a deep wound, before being thrown off.  Having recovered, Rain moved silently into the creature's blind spot.  She felt the ground shake and knew its companions were coming.  Using all of her strength, Rain wrapped her coils around its legs and pulled tightly.

     Sensing its fall, the colossal attempted to catch it self, pulling at Rain's coils.  Rain could feel something tear, but held fast as the large creature went down.  Seeing his chance, Third ripped into the wound from earlier with his claws and teeth.  Flesh and blood sprayed, matting itself into golden fur.

     Rain avoided the flailing talons of the creature and tried to right herself.  They didn't have much time.  They needed to finish it now.  The nearly dead creature slowed and eventually stilled. Third pulled a red crystal from the neck of the creature.

     Rain dug her fangs into its belly and pulled.  Her mouth and teeth weren't made to tear flesh, so the result was poor.  She was hoping to get some energy crystals, but couldn't risk loitering any longer.  She would have to be satisfied with the crystal Third retrieved.