35. Complicated

Rain's family had no idea how to process there current predicament. Rain delegated Harvey as the one in charge of communicating with the spider, while Brice and Rain were to watch him and make sure he didn't become violent. Third was to be the information runner and send word back to Winston. He needed to know that a tetra marked feral was within the city's territory.

    Brice had perviously brought back Winston's orders. They were effectively on standby as the ape king had no intention of waging war. Rain wasn't so quick to believe that, but was going to listen for now. Once her heat ended, she would gather information. She would not stand a threat to her new home and family.

     It was more important than ever for Rain to increase her family's strength. She intended to look for more mates anyhow and figured she would use that as a cover for keeping tabs on the ape king.

     Combine that with the strange visitor Rain had, her plate was very full. The spider beastman was oddly respectful and listened to Rain relatively well. He did not encroach on her territory and always stayed just outside of it.

     He did stare a little too much for Rain's liking. It felt as if she had no privacy. Either she or Harvey would make an effort to communicate with the beast on a daily basis. The conversations were usually short in nature. Sometimes they only exchanged greetings.

     Winston showed up once to question the spider and discern it's nature. He appeared tired and was obviously sleep deprived. Winston did not have the same level of patience towards the male as Rain and Harvey. They almost came to blows at one point.

     Rain intervened. She didn't do so for any pleasant feelings towards the beast. She was actually calculating his uses. He wasn't hostile towards them, but clearly had the ability to kill. Rain recalled the scorpion who chased her. It must have been a double striped beast, but the spider finished it instantly.

     Although Rain couldn't be sure if the beast was friendly enough to help them, she figured he wouldn't sit back and be attacked either. If the ape king sent any trouble their way and the foolish beasts ran into the spider first... Well, Rain would have one less fight on her hands.

     After successfully talking down Winston, Rain invited him to rest on her second floor. He had already been inside her den so many times, that Rain began to accept it as a norm. This was different than being dependent as she owed Winston a great deal.

     Surprising, the ever friendly Third didn't care for the spider. Third started complaining to Rain about it. "Rain, he just stares all the time. It's creepy." While she did agree with him, she didn't voice that.

     "We just have to put up with it for now." Honestly, Rain was itching to send the male far away, but she lacked the means of doing so. Winston could, but she didn't want him injured in case the ape king tried to take advantage of that.

     Third pouted. He didn't get it. Rain didn't want the spider as a male, but wouldn't send it away. If only he was stronger, he could chase the freaky beastman away. He was too quiet and strange. He made almost no sound when moving and would watch them with his eight eyes. 'Why does he need that many anyway? No wonder they are so rare,' Third thought to himself. 'They must creep every beast out.'

     Winston was still dead asleep on the second floor. Or so Third thought when he tried to drop a worm on him. In his short years of life, he never feared as he did then. Rain threw him out after that and they had to talk through the window. As a leopard, he had no issues climbing a tree, it was as easy as walking to him.

     Third ran over to Brice who had returned with Harvey from the daily chat. Brice took a look at the haggard leopard and knew he got himself into trouble. He still smiled. As silly as Third was, Brice genuinely enjoyed his company and antics.