32. Estrus

Second update for today, April 26th

     Soon, Rain got her estrous cycle.  She always thought hers had terrible timing.  If she actually got pregnant, she would have to stay awake and semi-active for the months of snow fall.  As her body temperature was very cool, she would have to take additional caution in maintaining a higher body temperature.  She couldn't be sure that her body's disposition wouldn't harm warm blooded cubs.

     Rain discussed her worries with Harvey.  He agreed with her.  If she were to get pregnant, Harvey would need to stay by her side or have a fire burning constantly.  Since they were living in a tree hole, not a stone house, they would have to be careful with fire.

     Harvey did not mind the thought of constantly warming Rain, however, that would put a strain on their resources.  Their family was small.  If neither himself nor Rain could hunt, the burden would fall on Brice, Third, and Winston.  He knew how his mate felt about relying too heavily on Third and Winston.  The best solution was to avoid mating, even if it went against their instincts to do so.

     Although they both came to that solution, it was easier said than done.  Rain became especially frustrated during this period and never let Harvey rest.  Once her bleeding ended, Rain left on an extended hunt in order to distract herself during her period of fertility.  Third joined her and Brice followed at a significant distance.

     Rain intended to stay away for the entire duration of her fertile period.  She would add a few extra days to be on the safe side.  She didn't want to see Winston and sent Third to notify him of her plans.   It would be bad to send unmated males after her, not that she would feel tempted.  Much to her displeasure, Winston came himself.  She would have rather taken a legion of males than him.

    Rain swallowed the same emotion that had recently been intent on threatening her peace of mind.  She stayed in her beast form as much as she could.  For days the group traveled and hunted.  On the fourth day Rain and Winston fought, or almost did.

     Winston looked at the pig that Rain hunted.  A gash was exposing the flesh beneath her scales.  She had been reckless and attacked needlessly.  Winston suppressed his urge to crush the already dead creature and instead spoke to Rain.  "We need to treat your wound."  Winston held back his displeasure, his worry was greater.

     Rain thought about it.  She wanted to disobey him simply because she was agitated.  She was purposefully hasty in her fight.  She wanted to expend her energy fully.  She knew she was safe enough to do so, since she trusted the three beasts around her.  In the end, she obliged and shifted.  Brice dropped her top above her and she caught it nimbly.  Her wound was on her stomach.  It hurt, but did not damage her significantly.

     Third paced wearily in his leopard form while Brice circled above.  Winston brought over the water skin and began flushing the wound.  Hiss.  Rain hissed in pain at his actions and Winston felt remorseful.  Once the wound was rinsed, Winston took off the pack he was carrying and sought the herbs he needed.

     Winston mashed the herbs into a paste using what was left of the water.  He applied the salve gently and Rain turned her head away.  She didn't want to show her weakness or how bad the wound was hurting.  She didn't object to the treatment.  She was capable of applying the medicine herself, but she felt the irritation rolling off the tiger in waves and let him take care of it.

     Winston cooked up the pig and shared with the beasts.  Rain refrained from changing forms until her wound healed.  The bleeding had stopped and the gash was beginning to scab over by nightfall.  Third curled around Rain to keep her warmer.  Nights were getting chillier and Rain appreciated it.