44. Discussion

Third update for today May 20th.

     The salt production went well and the caravan was making decent time despite the occasional setback. Rain watched as Isabella interacted with Third. Rain could tell the female was holding back and she found it unusual. No. To Rain, everything about the female was strange.

     Rain could tell that Isabella was not as scared as she used to be, but the female was still jumpy. At first, Rain thought that the female was naturally skittish and could be a prey beast like rabbits or sheep despite lacking their scent. But Isabella would eat meat and vegetation. Based on her diet, she could belong to several different clans, but nothing explains her temperament and manners.

     Most females do not act so considerately towards males. Isabella, however, seemed to hesitant to ask for anything and seemed overly polite. Her behavior struck Rain as peculiar and out of place. The males around her had different reactions.

     Third was already taken and Rain knew it. The problem was, most of the other males were the same. The fox whom Rain had fought was among Isabella's suiters. The only single males around that seems uninterested were the bear king's sons, the horse male, Ezra, Vern, and Brice.

     Rain sighed. At least she should be able to focus on Vern. She had yet to determine if he was suitable for her family. The horse male seemed worth considering. There was also the two bear males.

     Although Rain had a more difficult time gauging the older of the bear king's sons, the younger was easier to read. She was loathe to consider him as just the sight of him reminded her of her loss. Bears wouldn't be much help in the winter either. Still, her family was too small. He had at least fought with her fairly and never seemed to test her boundaries.

     Rain grumbled to herself. Other than her wounded pride, the younger bear hadn't harmed her and has even shown a certain level of respect towards her. She would consider him, but she wouldn't accept him until she got her third stripe. Their power gap bugged her too much.

     Rain pondered about her strength. So long as she put in the effort, she should take a year at the longest to reach her third mark. Considering it hasn't been a year since she got her second, that was a very bold estimate. However, Rain believed she could achieve that.

     Rain had hunted colossus with Third and Brice and that had substantially increased her growth speed. She had also sparred with Brice and Third frequently, which allowed her to get comfortable with her strength. Her victories through the bear king's competition proved that.

     If Rain could gain her third mark, she wouldn't have to be as cautious with the power of potential mates. Rain was satisfied with her estimate. She would have to use her time wisely.

     Rain would have her next cycle sometime later this season. If she became pregnant, it would throw off her estimation and she would need strength, more than ever, to protect her young. Rain didn't feel a strong maternal instinct, but it was there. At the very least, she would make sure her future cubs grew healthy and strong.

     Rain figured she would need to take at least two more mates to be on the safe side. Her estimation included Isabella. Third would likely be caring for her and wouldn't be around to assist her in hunting.

     Rain sighed. She had her work cut out for her. She may need to add an extra year to her approximation or double her efforts for finding mates.

     Rain felt a twinge of impatience. She watched Isabella stumble away from Ezra, whom she didn't notice was behind her. Ezra seemed curious towards her, but Rain wasn't certain if he had interest in courting the female. If so, it wasn't going well.