8. Questionable Influence

Stirring in her sleep, face creased with a frown, Rain slowly began waking up.  Shaking off the whispers from her dream, she took note of the leopard curled around her and the tiger outside her den.  Repulsion started to build with in her and she smothered the feeling quickly.  Uncomfortable with the way she was feeling, she slithered out of her den towards the creek.

     Rain glanced at Winston before moving along, the ugly feeling threatening to rise again.  She drank her fill, before making her way to her bathing spot.  Her head had cleared up enough for her to think.  She did not want to be questioned, when she did not know the answers herself.

     Rain hadn't liked the idea of taking a mate after her first bond ended tragically.  After she recovered from her wounds, physical and mental, she had decided to look for mates weaker than herself.  She didn't blame other males for what happened, she just refused to have her freedom stolen away again.  She was certainly angry at the male for confining her, but she just as upset with herself for being too week to stop him.

     Rain had decided to look for a herbivorous mate, as they were typically docile.  She frowned recalling what event took place before she could find one.  If not for her sister, she would not have left the city.  Sighing heavily, Rain shook off the unsettling feelings.  She was not here to contemplate her sister's actions.

     Bringing her attention back to the matter at hand, Rain tried to recall when exactly she had become cross towards mating and bearing offspring.  Before she left the city Winston had created, she had felt completely indifferent towards offspring.  She knew she would eventually have offspring if she had mates, but didn't feel deeply one way or another towards the idea.

     Now the thought of having family filled Rain with revulsion.  Concerned at the drastic change that happened without her noticing, she thought it over again.  She wasn't like this back at the city.  She always had something of a temper, though she rarely lost control.  Where or when did she start changing and why?

     Deep in thought, Rain did not notice the two concerned looks she was receiving.  The two beasts were wary of Rain's mood and decided not to press her until she was ready to talk.  They carefully listed to their surroundings, alert and ready for any signs of danger.

     The two beasts had noticed a positive change in Rain after leaving her den.  They also felt less stifled.  Rain's den was not comfortable, but they would never tell her so.  While Rain was soaking in the creek, she felt significantly less hostile.  Winston moved further away from Rain's location and beckoned Third to follow.

     Shifting into their mating forms, Winston tiredly began probing the young leopard.  "Third, has Rain been against taking males for some time?"  He could understand her opposition due to what had happened to with her first mate.  If he was indeed the cause of her enmity, then Winston would not be able to push the matter.

     With a tired expression, Third tried to recall when Rain started showing resistance to taking mates.  "Rain was careful about who to court after you killed Duke.  She did seem to be eyeing a sheep male two seasons after Duke's death," explained Third.  "I did not think she was against taking males then."

     Winston mulled over what Third said. In that case, something must have occurred after.  Winston stared at Third, patiently waiting for him to continue.  "She told me why she left the city, and I don't feel that was the reason," added Third.  Winston was truly curious as to why she had left, but did not want to pry.  He had a feeling it was related to her sister, but wasn't willing to worsen their already poor relationship by probing.

     "When we spoke last year, she was responding negatively at the mention of males and mates," noted Third.  Frowning, Winston asked, "Did she mention an encounter with a male, while living out here?"  He suppressed his anger, wondering what situation could have been bad enough for Rain to resent males.

     "She has encountered several ferals, but she beat them without much trouble," insisted Third.   Winston's furry ears twitched.  He didn't like the sound of that, but trusted Third's judgement for now.  Not getting anymore information from Third, Winston nodded his head before shifting back into a tiger and heading towards Rain.

     Having calmed down, Rain made her way towards her sunning stone.  She knew the two beasts were following her and didn't bother to look back.  She propped herself on the stone and waited for the two to change forms.

     Winston stood off to the side, allowing the large stone to hide his lower region.  Third stood unabashedly in front of her with a concerned look on his face.  Rain acknowledged both beastmen and started, "I did not used to be against taking mates or having offspring.  I do not know why that has changed."

     "I had originally thought my increasing temper was due to gaining my second stripe.  I realize that does not explain why thoughts of mates and offspring anger me enough to..."  Rain paused, guilt and disappointment surging in her heart.  Taking a breath she continued, "Lose control.  I Have searched through the Legacy and have not found any explanation there."