Conversations and Interrogations

"I can't believe that happened."

Bow recounted the whole story for her, right from the beginning. Adora just listened in shock as he explained the holding 'room' he and Glimmer had been shoved in. Apparently Prime had been expecting her, and when Bow and Glimmer arrived he'd chosen to utilize them as bait.

"Describe it again, what did it look like?"

"Green, black, massive. There was a wall of mirror separating us, the weird music over the speakers, and no windows."

Adora tried to visualize it, realizing it definitely wasn't a classroom.

"Strange."

"Extremely," Glimmer chimed in.

"Did Mara tell you Light Hope's coming?"

"Yeah. I feel pretty useless doing nothing in bed, so at least I can give some information that will put Prime behind bars."

Adora played with the crisp white sheets, ruining the neat crease lines in the fabric.

"You've already done so much, your body deserves a break."

Bow perched himself on the arm of Glimmer's chair, wrapping a casual arm around her shoulders. Glimmer leaned into him slightly, as if it was a natural response, and Adora felt a pang at the thoughtless affection. She missed Catra, desperately. They'd just gotten a chance to be more open about their relationship.

"I've written down some stuff, but every time I try to concentrate for more than a few minutes my brain freezes. I just can't stop thinking about him, about everything. Most of all Catra."

"They're conducting surgery on her tonight, to remove the chip," Glimmer said offhandedly. Adora nearly leaped out of the bed, sitting up straight at that news.

"What? Why has no one told me this?"

Bow shot a scolding look at Glimmer, who's mouth opened in guilt. Adora looked at her imploringly, waiting for a response.

"They probably feared you'd react like....well, this."

Adora grabbed a nearby bag, using it to take deep breaths when Bow snatched it off of her.

"You'll accidentally suffocate yourself doing that," he threw the bag across the room, fluffing Adora's pillows while forcing her too lay down.

"Surgery in the spine, in the neck? That's the worst kind. What's the survival rate on that? Glimmer, pass me my phone!"

Questions shot around her head as fast as they flew from her lips.

"Adora! Adora!"

Glimmer slowly lowered Adora's arms, which had been flailing around in distress.

"Catra is the daughter of the owner of this hospital, she's being treated by the best surgeons."

Glimmer had a point, but even the best surgeons could make mistakes. And one mistake could cost Catra her life.

"Yeah, it's going to go perfectly, don't worry."

Adora clutched both their arms, which had been held out in front of her for support.

"Thanks guys."

She tried to smile up at them, a flood of doubts threatening to crack through her walls.

————————

Another knock sounded at the door, and Adora flinched out of fright. She shook off her nerves, suddenly remembering Light Hope was appointed to see her.