chapter -8 story ( jessica's pov)

CH- 8 : STORY

After wishing drake a nice goodbye, I reach to emma’s home. Whereas my street is surrounded by greenery, hers is busy. Not in a crowded way but in a silent way. I see nobody around.
I ring the doorbell, which has a very screeching sound, it sometimes even sounds like a donkey’s shriek. Emma chose her doorbell just right.
I always adore Her house, its quite large,painted white and brown with two floors, a beautiful balcony facing right above where I stood.  Her street is quite hushed and still as the brown door creaks open.
There stands  emma, the blue denim jeans with a black summer jacket, her thin lips twinkling as she smiles,the familier blue eyes gazing at me.
And her straight brown-
My eyes go wide as I now realise why she was excited. Her hair.
The brown straight hair is now a glimmering wave of little curls with red and black highlights.
‘ EMMA-
‘ I KNOW RIGHT!’ her enthusiasm is taking the best of me, she holds my arm and lets me in her maleficent but homely house.
She lets me in her living room through a longer but narrow  pathway consisting of two rooms, one bathroom and one kitchen. Two huge sofas lie in the living room with white walls, a tv present infront of them and a fridge lie just a little away-
Emma loves eating.
I look at her, almost staring at her as a creep.
‘ I bet you’re jealous, huh?’
I bark out a laugh,’ fucking shut up, why the hell didn’t you tell me you fucking dyed you hair?’
‘ SURPRISE’ she let out another chuckle. ‘ it looks good doesn’t it?’
‘ good? GOOD? IT LOOKS MARVELOUS GIRL’ I pat her hair, its been so long since we got this excited.
‘ ah, its fine. you can go back to being normal now’ she whispers in my ear, I pinch her arm hard, looking at her back.
God, she is beautiful. Those blue ocean eyes, her little curves at the right places and now those red curly highlights. Anyone could fall for her, I wonder why she’s even single.
‘ hm? You thinking something?’
‘uh- no. nothing’ I shake my head,’ why a sudden- hairstyle though?’ I immediately regret asking the question, ofcourse I know why a sudden hairstyle.
Its her coping mechanism.
‘ you know, diverting’ she answers, looking up at the ceiling. Yea, diverting, her mind. Away from whatever shit’s going on from the past few days.
‘ anyways- you know the hairstylist was so- “
There she goes, I swear if she ever saw how drake looked-
Heavens, I’m thinking about him again. that dream really was something . his past, the commonness between us, this is going somewhere but I can’t make it stop.
I don’t want to make it stop.
‘ are you even listening to me jess?’ emma gives me a look, ‘ who is it?’
She really can read  minds, ‘I’m tired. What do you do when you meet a stranger who you seem to find interesting’ her eyebrows rise at my strange question, her foot tapping the floor. ‘ if you and them have a good deal, you know it  already, cmon. Who is it jess?’
I just shrug my shoulders, “ no one “
an unrecognizable shadow covers her face, she astonishes but then quickly covers her surprise. ‘ I suppose I know who he is’ she simply states.
I crack my knuckles, I don’t know where things are going for now but I’ll just let it flow.
For anything will burst if you try to hold it for too long.
Emma just looks at me with interest and- confusion? I can’t seem to make out her expression.
She just waves off her hand when she finds me staring.
“ cmon I have learned a new dance, want to watch? “
I nod with absolute confidence.
She brings down a little speaker and plays a catching beat, not a hard tune but rather a soft one. It might be a contemporary.
I sit down on the couch, she makes a little space in the living room, moving the table and cushions into a corner.
She takes a deep breathe before starting, then looks at me and bursts out laughing for I was looking at her like a desperate child. She lets out a breathe and starts, her body moves with the music in elegance. She spins, twirls, her limbs move according to her will, she controls them.
I sit frozen, in awe with how her figure stirs, combines with the notes. As if they’re one.
I recognize the song, it’s a classical piece, behind it is a story of love.
Emma whirls, her hair dance along. Her feet gently touches the floor, her fingers curl, she forms a meaning, she gives a shape to the story.
I remember the story behind the song, it expressed the complexity of love, how it caused fear.
It was the story of two women, deeply in love with each other. Yet, there was a crack in the glass of their passion.
Emma covers her build with her forearms, as if covering something, a secret or a deep history. She continues, swaying and whirling.
the crack in the story was, that one of the women was afraid, afraid that the world will know her little secret, how she is- not normal, as the beings of the time would say. How she doesn’t love normally, she covered herself with lies to keep her from revealing herself to the world.
While the other woman, the one who didn’t care- the free spirited. She was proud, proud of the woman she loved- and herself. But the fear of her lover quenched the fire of their passion, got replaced with the cold ice.
Fear- irrational fear. It destroyed all.
The song moves to a high melody, emma shifts, her knees drop on the ground as she does a more emotional act.
The story turned darker as time went on,
The lovestory turned into a sad one.
No one ever knows the ending of the story. It is left as it was- the two women separated, heartbroken.
It is said the woman who was afraid did horrible things to run away from herself.
The other woman,  life didn’t do well with her. illness ate her alive as a parasite, for she couldn’t live happily without her sweetheart.
And that it was, the story. In the end, it was left for us to decide, the ending.
Emma finally finishes, I clap so loud that my palms sting but she deserves it. her performance, so graceful, as if the she was the women in the story herself.
“ I’m glad” she said huffing, sipping a glass of water.
“ it was wonderful” I repeat, “ truly, I found myself dwelling inside the story”
“ oh, you knew the story behind it?”
“ ofcourse “ I say, smiling.

                                                     ***

I wait in the car as I get the fuel filled. I’ll drop by noah’s and sleep over there, then go to hike with drake tomorrow morning.
The night sky looks beautiful, stars twinkling above. 
The night has something- enchanting, magical about it that the day deosn’t. the unnerving silence, solitude and the music of the quite.
I spent a lot of time with emma today, we talked a lot. The reason she doesn’t dance infront of many people is because she feels dancing is a part of her soul- that only the closest ones are allowed to view it.
I used to think the same about the piano- I still do, sometimes. but then I imagine, if one day, I play it infront of thousands of people and just one of them finds it beautiful.
I smile at the thought, if only I had the courage to do that.
I ponder about everything else I talked with emma, we discussed drake too- just for a while.
I think about the words she said to me,
He seems very existent.
What did she mean by that? I’d asked her, she just replied with a shrug, that guys like him don’t seem much real.
But I think she meant something else, something much more deeper I suppose.
Or maybe I’m just overthinking.
I’m not hanging out with drake because I have feelings for him.
On second thought, maybe I’m lying.
well, I don’t really know but the bigger reason is that he knew mia. maybe I can get any information from him.
Noah had texted me that mia’s aunt visited him, told me every message or important stuff he could find from her. he’s doing all the work.
After papa comes, I’ll ask if he knows any detectives or police officers. That might be of some help.

I start my engine, it makes a loud noise, the car starts moving.
The streets of central Oregon are pretty clean, hushed and beautiful. The country itself is famous for amazing sights. The car’s headlights lead the path in the darkness.