Chapter 32 - His story

wordcount: 3303

TW: Abuse and implication of rape

----

Tuesday 17th

Sitting next to each other in history, Silas and (Y/n) could slice the tension between themselves like a cake. Neither had said anything to the other and both were working diligently on their papers, or at least pretended that they were, both being too distracted with what they said to each other to write a marvellous essay.

Silas was the more befuddled of the two. What (Y/n) said wasn't entirely wrong. He shouldn't expect human beings to act good one hundred percent of the time but he still felt a certain disdain for her even if he was aware it was mostly unjustified, from his life experiences he knew more people than not held sinister smiles and brown noses.

But she wasn't a bad person. Maybe a little clueless, but she didn't hold any true malevolence in her heart.

A great weight of pity laid on (Y/n)'s back. Despite the harsh words he had said to her, she could tell they came from a place of experience, leading to an inherent distrust of people. That's probably why he was a bit of a loner, and (Y/n) knew exactly what it was like to be a loner...

Before either of them knew it, the bell rang and everyone was packing up their books. (Y/n) opened her mouth to say something but retracted her breath, not finding the right words to say.

"Yo, bestie." Lyla skipped her way to the lunch table (Y/n) and Beth were at, with Patrick trailing behind.

"Which one's your bestie?" Beth asked, looking to start an argument for fun.

"You both are." She opened her bag to take out her custom-made, gluten-free sandwich.

"How was practice?" (Y/n) asked, glancing at both Patrick and Lyla.

"Same old, same old." As the musical was only next week, the band and cast were now rehearsing simultaneously.

"Gosh, I can't wait until next week is over," Lyla groaned emphatically, "Hanging round Leo all day is exhausting."

"With the amount you talk about him, it seems like you still like him." (Y/n) teased, earning herself a kick from under the table.

"He's like bipolar or something, last week he was depressed and now's he's... not, I wouldn't say he's more lively, he's just... different? What do you think?" She turned towards Patrick.

"I don't know. I was busy playing the clarinet to pay attention."

"uh." Lyla rolled her eyes, "whatever."

(Y/n) looked down at the table and picked her food, gaining a side eye from Beth as she knew (Y/n) worked at Elias' house, and that Leo lived in that house.

"Anyone coming to Pablo's party this weekend?" Beth asked the table.

"Oh-," Patrick interrupted before Lyla could speak.

"Pablo Aquino's?" he scoffed, "You gotta be kidding us with that question, Beth, Pablo's a dickhead." Both (Y/n) and Beth looked at Lyla momentarily before casting their gazes aside as quickly as they set it.

"Uh, yeah..." Lyla coughed, "I mean, we all have better things to do than go to the best house party thrown every month." Lyla twirled a piece of her hair, very obviously doing a bad job of lying.

"Our final rehearsal is on Sunday before our first performance, Lyla." Patrick scorned.

"Oh please, I never drink too much to get hungover." Lyla dismissed such problems and went back to drinking her Thai tea. Patrick had to hold back an audible groan as he slumped in his chair.