Chapter 10 - A Nice Day At The Park

George ^

word count; 2676

-

Sunday 25th

"Hey, bitches!" Lyla strutted towards her other group of friends, who were all sitting on a park bench that was in memorial to some old soul that no one remembers anymore.

"That's insulting." Alex said, not looking up from her phone.

"Uh, whatever, make way." She gestured with her hands for Beth and (Y/n) to part like the sea so she could squish between the two, "So, how are all of you?"

"Alright, how's that play doing?" (Y/n) replied, not wanting to mention what she did the day prior.

"Ugh, I had rehearsals yesterday, and you know what? Leo didn't even bother showing up! I wonder what that prick was doing."

"Yeah... I wonder." (Y/n) gazed off into the clouds.

"Well, just think positively, it'll be over by December." Beth chirped in, eating some crisps.

"Yeah... hey (Y/n)?" She shifted her body to the left to look at (Y/n).

"Yeah?"

Lyla squiggled in her seat for a second, seemingly uncomfortable, "So like... I saw that the Pizza Shack is doing this new singing thing nightly, and I thought it might be something fun to do, you know? Like karaoke, but, if you don't want to do it, then that's fine."

(Y/n) sighed and huffed, "Why would I care? I still like the food, it'll be fun."

Lyla smiled, "Great, we'll have some fun then, we can go next Friday."

A little smile crept onto (Y/n)'s face at the thought of some fun. Then her situation dawned on her, "Actually... I don't know if I can do Fridays." Lyla frowned and raised her eyebrows, expecting an explanation, "I may or may not have found a job."

"Oh, really! Doing what?"

"Ha... just... cleaning... for a hotel."

"Oh! Which hotel?"

(Y/n)'s lip twitched as she spoke through her teeth, "Why are you so inquisitive about it?" (Y/n)'s caramelised voice laced with bitterness.

"I just want to make sure it's a fancy one, trust me," Lyla grabbed onto (Y/n)'s wrist, "You don't want to clean up bedrooms from a two-star hotel, there's a reason they aren't higher ranked."

"Hehe." (Y/n) laughed dryly, "I appreciate your concern."

"What days are you free?"

The wind blew through their hair as (Y/n) pondered the question, she could not say she worked every school night, that would be suspicious, "Well, I have too much schoolwork and stuff like that during the week, but I'm fine all weekend."

"Okay then, how about Saturdays? It will be a fun way to all spend time together and have dinner."

"I don't mind, but I'd probably wouldn't be able to make it every Saturday." Alex chirped in.

A phone buzzed and Beth felt her pocket in her jacket to find her phone, checking the screen, "Hey, my friend Jonathan is going to be throwing a Halloween party, do you guys want to come?"

Lyla bounced, "Oh, sure, is he cute?"

"Back off." Beth barked, "We play basketball together."

"I thought you played netball?" Alex asked.

Beth scoffed, "Netball and basketball are just the female and male equivalent of each other. We play together with other people for fun at times."