Chapter 19 - Progress

wordcount: 2664

-----

Music played in (Y/n)'s earphones as she looked outside the window, feeling the little bumps her body experienced on the road. The bus stopped and someone sat next beside her, giving a glance, Jonathan smiled and said something but (Y/n) couldn't hear him over the music.

She paused her song and took out an earbud, "Hi?" (Y/n) was nervous as to why he was sitting next to her when his friends in the back were available.

"Hey, you alright?"

"uh, yeah... you?"

"I'm fine, so, how was work? Beth told me you had a job."

"Uh, yeah, it was fine." (Y/n) was wondering what it was he wanted, "I see Beth went to play basketball despite having homework."

"Yeah," Jonathan laughed a little at the remark, "So, you work every night?"

"Weeknights."

"Oh, cool..." He nodded his head, contemplating his next sentence, "hey, this weekend our school's basketball team is playing against Ravenwood high you should co-" Jonathan paused mid-sentence as he noticed her face had paled, "Hey, are you okay?" He placed a hand on her shoulder to reassure her whatever seemed to trouble her.

Jonathan's shaking seemed to snap (Y/n) out of her trance, "What? Oh, no, it's nothing, it's just, believe it or not, I used to go to that school."

"Really?" Jonathan connected the dots that she must've not had a good experience based on her reaction on just mentioning the school name, "well, it's a home game, who knows, it might be fun watching your old and current school battle it out, especially when I make sure to beat them all."

(Y/n) giggled hesitantly at his words, "Um, I don't know, I would have to see if Beth or someone else can come."

"oh... yeah." Jonathan scratched the back of his head, hiding his frown, as that wasn't what he had in mind.

They made idle talk for the rest of the journey, (Y/n) wondering what Jonathan thought of her after that night on Halloween, but not having the courage to bring up the topic.

The end of the day rolled around and (Y/n) walked along the cobblestone path leading to the front gate, as she was doing so Greg walked up beside her, "Oh, (Y/n), uncanny timing?" He said as if he was not waiting for (Y/n) to approach the house so that he could 'accidentally' bump into her.

"I guess." She reached for the gate to open it, but so did Gregory simultaneously and their hands brushed against each other, "Oh, sorry." A small blush crept its way onto her face.

"It's okay." He smiled and opened it for her, "so, what's the schedule for the day?"

"Oh, downstairs rooms."

"hm," He nodded his okay, "save the kitchen for last though, I may whip up a surprise." He unlocked the door, holding it open for her.

"Oh, really?" (Y/n) raised her brows, "I look forward to it." She did a mocking bow and grinned while walking to the closet, Greg's eyes trailing her form. While closing the door, he hit the door against Leo.

"Ow, bro." He looked down to see Greg's gaze elsewhere, following it he saw (Y/n) fetching cleaning supplies from the other side of the room, "Oh, compagno." He threw an arm around his shoulders, "how're things with the bella, my deal is still on if you need it."

"Please." Greg stepped away from his grip, "I'm actually do fine, by the way."

"Really?" Leo was doubtful.