Chapter 21 - Breakdown

wordcount: 1955

--

Thursday 5th

The first two periods were put on hold for an all school assembly, which those who had lessons were grateful and those who had free periods were resentful, so it came to no surprise that a quarter of the school did not show up, despite there being an attendance list and those who did not show up would be punished. Albeit the severeness of punishment would be lenient, it's not as if they were missing lessons.

The headmaster, who had tanned skinned and thick moustache, shared an uncanny resemblance to Pablo, as if looking at him was a preview to how the younger boy would look in forty years, "It is with heavy hearts we all pray that our student, John Cerva, is found, may we hold our heads up high at such a tragedy as we continue onward in our school year."

"Tch." Beth slouched in her chair and scoffed. (Y/n) looked over and pulled a face, "Come on," Beth said, "this is just a polite way of him saying that we shouldn't use his disappearance as an excuse to slack off in school."

"In other, more positive news, the annual school musical tickets are now for sale, there will be six shows, running from 23rd to the 28th, speak to the front desk if you want to buy tickets, and there is also the school talent show that we hold on the last day before we break up for the Christmas holiday on the 11th of December, so if you want to sign up for that, also go to the front desk, please."

He continued on, "Now, the autumn sports competition are currently being held, it is great pride that Netball team have won for our school, and the trophies for our team have arrived, so if I can please asked for the girls who participated, please stand up and collect your trophies."

(Y/n) watched Beth roll her head and stand up, shimmering past her as she and a few other girls walked to the front of the stage. Beth, being the team captain, held the trophy, leaning back slightly as it was the size of her chest as the other members held out their medals as their photo was being taken.

"Congratulations, girls, and we look forward to the football and basketball team's performance in the near future." Everyone was forced to clap as the teachers initiated applause and the girls went to sit down. Beth sat down and trilled her lips, slouching as she played with her medal, (Y/n) wasn't too sure, but she almost looked annoyed at having the medal.

"We have also received a special trophy for this season's track team, as both the male and female first place was won by our school, so if I can please call up Elias Smith and Beth Turner."

Beth once again bounced up and plastered on a smile as Elias walked beside her, both taking the handle of an even larger trophy that neither one would be keeping. At the end of it all, Beth slumped, "What's got you in a mood? Most people would be happy receiving awards." (Y/n) said.

"I don't like the attention," Beth put her hands in her pockets, "Plus, it was totally inappropriate to give out awards when a kid is missing."

"I guess he was trying to lighten the mood?" (Y/n) said, asking it as a question more than a statement.

"Still, I have like a million of these." She gestured to the medal, "Not to sound ungrateful, but it'll just eventually be lost away in storage, waste of metal, really."

"I'll keep hold of it if you want." (Y/n) jested, she always wanted to win a medal for something.

"Sure, why not." Beth took it off her neck and placed it around (Y/n), "There, it suits you."

"Are you serious?" (Y/n) fondled the medal.

"Sure, you could probably sell it on Ebuy and make 20 quid."