Chapter 20 - Missing

wordcount: 2370

-----------------

When (Y/n) arrived at school, people were whispering and murmuring all over the place, though no one was directly looking at her, so she could breathe in relief knowing she wasn't the one people were gossiping about. Running up behind her, Patrick wrapped his arm around (Y/n)'s shoulders, "boo!"

"God!" She shrieked and slapped his arm away, "Jesus, Patrick, I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"Yeah, my cold was a real bitch, lasted for two weeks, but I'm back to put myself in the narrative, did you hear the news?" They strolled into school.

"What news?"

"Well, apparently this kid, John Cerva, goes to our school, has gone missing."

Halting in her walk, (Y/n) stood still as she stared up at Patrick, "Wait, you're kidding, right? For how long?"

"Well, according to his parents, the weekend that half term began he went out and never came back, not answering his phone and his friends don't know where he is."

"Holy shit." Shudders trembled all down her body, "You don't think? You know..." She was too scared to voice out her thoughts, fear that if she said it out loud that it would become true.

"It's been over a week, (Y/n)." Patrick said, his face grim, "I mean, if he didn't personally run away then... most likely, they say after 72 hours is pointless."

"Jesus." Her hand covered her mouth in disgust, "I knew him."

"You did?"

"Well," She touched her eye, "Briefly, he punched him because I said something cheeky, but I never thought he would just... go missing like that."

"Well, don't tell anyone else that, they might think you're a suspect."

"What? Just because the guy punched me means that I'd kill him?"

"You have more motive than anyone else."

"Yeah, well, it doesn't help that half the school basically saw it."

"Oh, relax."

"You were the one who brought it up." (Y/n) grumbled and changed conversation, "Anyway, how was that audition?"

"Oh, you know me, I aced it, but it was just the audition to be eligible for the competition, so I still got a few more steps to pass."

"Oh, I'm sure you'll do fantastic, when is it?"

"4th of December, can you be there or?"

(Y/n) winced, "sorry, I've got plans with Lyla, she's got a shoot, like, a very important shoot for Dubois, she wants me there for emotional support."

"Nah, it's fine, you'd probably distract me, anyway." (Y/n) missed the disappointed frown that lurked on his face.

-

It was during one of her lessons that a man knocked on the door and interrupted the lesson, "Excuse me, but I need Miss (L/n) to come with me." The entire room peered at her as the teacher dismissed her.

"What is this for?" The man next to her was wearing normal clothes, but had a police badge on his blazer.

"It's nothing to worry about Miss, just protocol, only because you had a recent encounter with Mr Cerva before he disappeared, you don't need to worry about anything, well, unless you are responsible that is." The officer smiled, trying to ease her tensions with the presumption she was innocent, but the eery grin did nothing to calm the girl's nerves.