Chapter 16 - Halloween

wordcount: 4158

Saturday 31st

----------------

A forceful thud woke (Y/n) from her slumber as she felt herself being suffocated with a pillow. She picked it up and whacked it on the floor, "Really Beth, you can't wake me up like a normal person?" She looked up, eyes groggy, with Beth at the foot of her bed wearing a little grin.

"No. Breakfast is ready." She ran out,

(Y/n) looked at her alarm clock; half eight in the morning. Disgusting. She screeched as she sat up, stretching her muscles, feeling the tightness ooze out of her body as she rolled her neck, giving a loud crack as if she had been dead. She picked at her underwear which was giving her a wedgie and went downstairs.

Beth, Adelaide and her mum were all sat down like one happy family. Scrambled eggs with some toast; a lovely and cheap breakfast. "You didn't have to do this." She sat down next to her sister.

"Please, your eggs were about to expire." Beth poured some orange juice.

"I haven't had a breakfast like this in a while." (Y/n)'s mother said, a little smile forming as she picked up her knife and fork.

"Well, it gets boring to just have cereal every morning, I mean, you know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Beth sat down in her chair.

"That actually isn't true, Gellogg's actually just invented that slogan to sell more cereal." (Y/n) said, digging in to the eggs herself, the gooey texture melting in her mouth.

"Whatever." Beth stared down at her and gobbled her food.

"So, (Y/n), it's Halloween, are you doing anything tonight?" Adelaide asked.

"Uh, yeah, me, Beth and a couple others are going to a party tonight."

"Yeah," Beth said, "It's at my friend Jonathan's house, we play basketball together at times."

"What are you dressing as?" The gentle voice of (Y/n)'s mother squealed.

"Well, I'm going as a witch."

"ghost." Beth said.

"You doing anything Adelaide?" (Y/n) asked.

"Tina's having something, gonna go to that dressed as an angel."

"Ah, masking your demon form with that of an angel, very clever." (Y/n) deadpanned, initiating banter like any younger child would to rile their sibling.

"Nice of you to finally expose yourself for who you really are as a witch." Adelaide leaned her head towards (Y/n) as she teased back.

The conversation continued until they finished breakfast, Beth and (Y/n) then helped clean the dishes. Beth and (Y/n) then helped clean the dishes. "Your mum gonna be okay on her own for the night?" Beth asked, her head tilting slightly.

"Oh please." (Y/n) opened a cupboard to put the plates back after washing them, "her legs don't work, but she's a grown adult, the last thing she wants is us infantilising her."

"I know, I just meant with trick or treaters, that's all." The rhythmic tapping of Beth's fingers against the counter indicated that there was a level of unease within herself when discussing this topic.

"She can still open a door." (Y/n) scoffed, not picking up on Beth's stale smile "It's been nearly 3 years since the incident happened, she's gotten used to it."

"I see..." Beth stopped tapping and rested her body against the counter,

"Beth..." (Y/n) sighed in frustration.