Chapter 30 - Through His Eyes

wordcount: 6859

October

Sunday 25th 

John Cerva liked to go on a morning run every Sunday around Redwood park.

It was such a shame that it was his last run.

He ran off the directional course and was running through the tall trees, isolated from society, with no witnesses in sight. Elias hit him over the head with a hammer that he stole from Wolfgang's toolbox. He looked around to double check that no one else was in sight, finding no one, not even the birds singing their tuneless song were in the area. It was perfect. As if God Himself wanted this to happen and made sure it wouldn't get interrupted.

Locking him in the boot of his car, Elias rubbed his hands together. All in a good day's work. He sighed happily to himself, ready to get back in the car and drive home, but just then, the most beautiful thing appeared.

Her.

His darling angel was also in the park, alone. Elias had to admit he had his doubts about what he had done, but looking at her, at her poor bruised face, it reminded him that what he had done was worth it. Any who would dare taint perfection and make his sweetheart cry deserved to be punished.

He built up the courage and ran up to her,

"Oh, hey (Y/n)!"

(Y/n) looked over and saw Elias jogging, "Oh, hey Elias, fancy seeing you here."

"Oh, you know, just having my usual jog."

"Really?" (Y/n) questioned, "Isn't this park quite far away from your house, though?"

Elias' eyes widened far for a split second but quickly composed himself, "Uhh, I guess so, but..." He paused, looking over (Y/n) shoulder, "I like the cafe here, would you perhaps like to get something to eat?"

(Y/n) looked over at the cafe, then at him, "Oh! Well, I actually just ate."

"Oh..." He pouted.

"But I can have a drink or two, if you want."

"That'd be great!" He cheered and grabbed (Y/n)'s wrist, dragging her inside. Ever so gently, of course. He would be foolish to squander the opportunity to spend some quality time with his darling.

"So, how's your morning been?" Elias asked, sitting down at a table for two, right by the window, looking over the pond. The perfect romantic scenic view.

"Oh..." (Y/n) pondered, "Alright, nothing too exciting, you?" Elias could see the tiny frown on her face as something clearly troublesome happened, but his sweetheart didn't want to indulge, so he would not press her.

"Well, it's been pretty alright, but then I ran into you..." He sounded disappointed, "Which then made it great." He changed his mockingly sad tone into a genuine, cheerful laugh. He wanted to make (Y/n) feel comfortable, make her see him as a potential friend who could brighten her day. She needed to feel relaxed around him before he attempted to lay anything on.

"Ha." (Y/n) snorted, "I'm honoured..." (Y/n) pressed her lips together, "Hey, you know George, right?"

Elias' cup clanked against the coaster when she asked that question, "Why?" He spat, this time not being playful. He knows he really shouldn't, but he couldn't help the envy he felt whenever he was reminded of other annoyances is (Y/n)'s life.

(Y/n) flinched, "Uh, I was here earlier with my friends and we ran into him here, I don't know why but he doesn't seem to like me..."

Elias' face softened, and he grabbed her hand, "Don't worry, George doesn't like anyone, except for his friends, in which he has few, given his... unlikable personality." He knew George was actually a decent fellow once one got to know him, so he had to make sure (Y/n) never saw his soft side.