Chapter 4 - A Proposition

Patrick ^

(f/d) = favourite drink

word count; 3286

-

The sun had fully set by the time Patrick arrived at (Y/N)'s house, the only light that emitted from the sky was blocked by the mirky clouds. They sat in silence.

He looked over at her, and she stared down at her lap.

"Hey." He grasped her hand, "It'll be alright." He reassured.

(Y/N) meekly looked up at him, "Will it though? There's nowhere else for me to work, and I'm gonna have to take the school bus on my way home now." She sighed.

"Oh come on," he scoffed, "The bus isn't that bad."

"Yeah, but, I don't know anyone on the bus."

"So listen to music, that's what all the other kids who don't know anyone does." He firmly shook her hand.

(Y/N) gasped, "Speaking of music, how did that audition go?" She brightened up for the first time today.

"Oh, well." He let go of her hands and rubbed the back of his head, "I think it went good, they said I was great!" He hid a smile.

"Oh, that's great!" (Y/N) leapt and went in to hug him, which he reciprocated, "What instrument did you use?"

"Oh, uhh, saxophone... guitar and piano are way too common."

"Really, I thought sax would be high up there on 'most popular instruments?'" She said in quotations and giggled.

"Hey." He gently slapped her shoulder, "You know I only play three, and it's the least common of the three... and frankly, most cool."

"Yeah... but you can't sing while playing the sax." She rested her head on the headrest and showed her dazzling smile, slightly biting her lip in amusement.

"My vocal cords are definitely my weakest instrument, plus I can't multitask."

"Hey." She hit his chest and let it rest there for a second, "Maybe for the talent show you should pair up with Lyla, you know, you on your didgeridoo and her singing."

He grasped her hand resting on his chest, "Firstly," He said in a heavy and bad Australian accent, "I don't play the didgeridoo." They both laughed at his poor attempt, "And secondly, I'm sure Lyla would hate having to share the stage."

"She's an actress, that's literally her job."

"Yes... but she's always the lead."

"Because she's talented..."

"And her parents pay for the production." He raised his brows to prove a point.

She pulled her hand away, "Life's unfair like that, you deal with the cards you dealt with..." (Y/N) sighed and looked out the window, "And tonight I just lost a card."

"Hey." He rubbed her shoulder, "Pablo's a dick, but when school's over, his life is over, those who peak during high school tend to become miserable adults."

(Y/N) laughed bitterly, "Please, I'm sure he's already miserable." (Y/N) finally undid her seatbelt, "People who act like that with no real reason act like that because they themselves are miserable and just want others to feel the same pain." She pulled her bag that was resting between her legs, "Thanks for the lift, I'll see you tomorrow?"

Patrick smiled wearily and nodded, (Y/N) got out the car and carefully slammed the door shut. He watched her leave until she closed her front door and he couldn't see her anymore.