I'm Smarter Than You Think

Chapter 56:

Louis' POV:

*New Picture Message*

Cranberry

I frowned at Jessica's text, clicking to enlarge the photo she sent me. I studied the sample size portion of cheesecake before replying to her message.

The color looks weird. Like, it doesn't look like cranberry.

My phone vibrated a few seconds later, signaling another text.

That's true. It tastes kind of like it's been tampered with.

I waited for a few minutes to receive another picture of a different flavored cheesecake. When it came, I offered my opinion on how it looked even though it's making me crave cheesecake badly. This has been going on for the past half hour.

Jessica was invited to some kind of cheesecake tasting event with some girl I didn't know. Somehow, between my jealously and her gloating, she ended up sending me pictures of every piece she was given. This has been the fifteen picture at least.

*New Picture Message*

Brown Sugar Toffee?

I concentrated on studying the photo, blocking out Zayn's obnoxiously loud phone call behind me. I came to his house earlier this evening because I was bored, but he's spent most of the time arguing with his friend. From what I'm hearing, his friend is super wasted at this club, and Zayn is struggling a lot to find out where she is. He's called many mutual friends and tried to convince the girl to go somewhere, but she's stubborn as hell. At least that's what I'm getting from the bits and pieces of the conversation.

*New Picture Message*

Caramel Apple

Zayn sighed, and I listened to the sound of his footsteps grow closer. I patiently waited to feel his presence over my shoulder. "Why are you looking at a picture of cheesecake?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Jessica-"

"Ah," he held up a hand, cutting me off. "Say no more." I shrugged, and he sauntered off with his phone.

His phone started ringing again, and he quickly answered it. "You know..? Really..? Alright, yeah. Yeah, go. I'm leaving now." Zayn grabbed his car keys and hung up on whoever he was talking to. Probably one of the mutual friends. "They found her. I have to go help her, and you should come."

"I should?" I implied, focusing on my own phone conversation.

"Yeah, just come along for the ride. I'll probably also need help with her so could you please come?"

I peered up at Zayn and shrugged. "Why not?" I stood and tucked my phone into my pocket. Maybe I'll have time for a drink while we're there.

Zayn smirked and slapped me on the shoulder. "You're a good man." I scoffed and shoved him away from me.

"Whatever you say." The two of us made it into Zayn's car, and he wasted no time in speeding off. I pulled my phone back out, replying to Jessica's texts.

We made it to the club in no time, mostly do to the short distance. I peered out the window and saw a small crowd out front, which wasn't rare. Zayn pulled around the side, and we were allowed in through the back door thanks to me calling the club along the way and explaining our situation to them. They understood very quickly, which was kind of weird. It usually takes a lot of convincing.

We made our shortcut through the kitchen and emerged into the middle of what looked like a huge party. The room was packed, and I wasn't sure how we were going to find Zayn's friend. I looked at him with wide eyes. He returned my expression and gestured towards the bar. "Why don't you get us a couple of beers, and I'll start looking?"