Chapter 46: sob story

Start from the beginning

The man let out a low hum, walking around me to where Dream’s seat is now empty, and sat down. He took a moment to examine me from eye level. “Strange,” the man murmured with a notable British accent, continuing to look over my expression.
I allowed a confused smile to appear on my face as I leaned a little closer. “What’s strange?”

“You.” Was the one word response. “You’re strange. Dream barely trusts his hook-ups with coming here, yet here you are. Plus, it is not often that someone with the courage you seem to possess ends up dating a criminal.”
“Uhh… thank you?” I responded, unsure whether that was meant to be a complement.

The brunette seemed satisfied with my reply, and a grin appeared on his face. I couldn’t help but take the opportunity to study his appearance. He had fluffy brown hair and brown eyes along with a pair of round rimmed glasses. He was wearing a white shirt and a grey and white striped flannelette shirt overtop.

“So how do you know Dream and the other people here?” I asked him after a few minutes of silence, and at my question his smile faltered slightly on his face, but returned quickly.
“I owe my life to Dream… but there is not that much of a story behind it…” He explained. “I was friends with Dream and his family when I was younger, before he became a cold blooded killer.”

“Really?” I asked. “How is that not much of a story? What was he like?”
“A lot nicer than he is now.” The brunette smiled. “The two of us and one of my brothers all hung out together all of the time. We were best friends… but one day when he was about thirteen years old… something happened.”

“What happened?” I questioned, feeling myself getting curious at this small snippet of the blond’s backstory which I was managing to witness.
“Dream and my brother disappeared. It was about a month before they were found, neither were the same after that though… it was…” He couldn’t seem to find a word for it and remained quiet.

“Well where did they disappear to? What happened to the pair of them?”
“They were taken to be human lab rats, an attempt to make super soldiers, like in those Marvel movies. Faster, stronger, smarter, better stamina, etc.” The man explained. “The company was found out though, and my brother and Dream were both rescued.

I expected that to be it, but he continued. “According to found files they were the only successful experiments, and whatever they witnessed made them a lot more distant. It made them practically emotionless. My father however came up with an idea. He suggested that they get taught to fight bad guys, use their powers to protect others.”

“So… your father suggested Dream became a superhero? Why didn’t he? Did something happen?” I felt like I already knew this story… I had heard it somewhere before but there was something that didn’t make sense.

“Dream felt that my father was overworking my brother and him. All of their free time, from the morning through to the night, was used to train them. He never got the chance to act his age, and so he decided to leave, cut off all contact with myself and my brother and father.”
“Then how did you end up owing him your-” I was cut off as he continued.

“I figured out what he did a little later on. All I wanted was to be included with my brother and father, I wanted to help them both. However my father was too focused on my brother to give me, and my other little brother who was eight, much attention. So I decided to find a way to get my brother’s, and my father’s attention.”

“By committing crimes?” I guessed, and the man just nodded.
“I started with small crimes, stealing an apple off of a fruit cart, running red lights, but none of them got his attention, and so I had to work my way up to bigger crimes. One day when I was getting a lot braver, the pair found me.”

“They were both disappointed, as you would be, but apparently I needed to be arrested. When I ran from them I was caught in an alleyway, but not by my brother and father, it was Dream who caught me.”
“So that’s how you owe him your life? He kept you out of prison?” I asked.

“There is more than that.” The man confirmed. “He knew I was more of a priority than the other criminals and had made a lot of connections in the underworld, so he introduced me to a lot of these guys. Quackity helped me get out of the city, and I’ve been living in the small neighbouring town of Pogtopia ever since. It was boring, but it is good to be back.”

“That’s enough.” I gasped as I noticed Dream was now standing over the pair of us, and the strangers smile widened at the blond sociopath.
“Hello Dream,” he smiled. “Can I not say hello to my best friend's boyfriend?”
“You said more than enough.” Was Dream’s response.

“Okay then.” The brunette smiled as he stood up and held out his hand for me to shake. “It was nice to meet you, Mr…”
“George.” I responded as I shook his hand back. “Thank you for telling me about that. I hope to see you around.”

“I hope the exact same… oh and in case you were wondering, you can call me Wilbur. Wilbur Soot.” Before I got a chance to respond he walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him.
_________________________________________
1669 words.

😏Nice