Lies

A week had passed, nothing out of the ordinary occurred, it was just the same cycle repeated all over again.

Beth was accompanied with Zane and other of his friends.
Every time he walked passed me would always have a smug look on his face.

He probably did that to prove the point that I didn't know anything about Beth and that I over reacted for what I did a few days back.

They were the talk of the school now- Beth and Zane.

Since he was unreasonably rich, he bought countless of gifts for Beth which made all the girls envy her.

Beth and I haven't talked since, it felt almost as if she was avoiding me but I paid no attention that.

——————-

"Today I'll be choosing everyone's partners for the science project." Mrs Scarlett, our biology teacher announced resulting half of the class to groan in protest.

"Conner, you're with Stephanie."

"Chloe, you're with Elizabeth."

"Darcy, you're with... Zane."

The entire class room became rowdy when she chose places.
"Silence everyone I'm not done yet." She announced.

My eyes shot at Zane who clearly had a evil smirk plastered on his face and I rolled my eyes at him.

"I can't partner up with that bitch!" Chloe shot up from her seat.
"Language!" Mrs Scarlett warned.

"And you're insane if you think I want to partner up with you either." Elizabeth protested.

"I also don't want to partner up with Zane.." I added.

"That's not my issue, no one can change partners anymore. Now everyone switch seats with your partners." Mrs Scarlett ordered.

"Fuck this, I'm not seating next to her!" Chloe dashed out of the class.

"It would like to remind you that this project covers up half of your grade." She said, totally ignoring Chloe.

The final bell rang and I immediately packed up my things and dashed out.

"Your house or mine?" Zane asked while having a tight grip on my arm.

"None." I flung my arm to be released from his grip.

"I'm not loosing half of my grade." He said.

"Then do it yourself. I'm not doing anything with you." I said and walked away.

"Miss Hills, can I have a word with you?" Mrs Scarlett quickly asked before I could leave.

"Your grades are surprisingly low recently. I suggest you put a lot of effort in the project... because that's where your hope in passing this class is." She whispered.

"I paired you up with mr Laurier because you see, he's one of the brightest students in this class and I hope for him to have a positive impact on you." She concluded.

"Understood Mrs Scarlett... I'll try my best in the project." I said with a stiff smile and went back to Zane.

"Your house by four." I whispered.

"Can't wait." I rolled my eyes at his statement.

"Get everything prepared before then." I ordered.

"Why do I have to be the one to get everything?" He asked and I walked out, ignoring his question.

***